Jimmy Saville biopic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Or if it happens on Facebook, and you pull someone up on it, you're obviously a snowflake.

Yup, it's how it goes generally.

Or you get given a string of 'larfing til I cry' emojiiis as a response - in the absence of anything useful to say.

But really I'm quite happy to be an actually rather resilient, thinking feeling snoflake.

Beats being an total @rșhöl any day :okay:

Thing is there's plenty of dodgy stuff going around, passing as 'comedy' even on here.

It's not just one or two 'nasty' comedians, that we can conveniently demonise..

But if you challenge any of it you're just being 'po faced'

Or 'can't take a joke'

Or doing 'pc gone mad'

Or even
'Oh you can't say anything nowadays'

It's all symptomatic of the same issue, of not being willing to face up to, and deal with some nasty truths.

Yes of course, humour can be a way of squaring up to, or even dealing with difficult things.

But so often it's just used as a way of punching down, making light of, or deflecting from difficult stuff, and then we all quickly moving on to other less uncomfortable matters.

So nothing is really resolved, tackled, or advanced.

It's done so routinely, here, and elsewhere that its wholly unremarkable.

If you persist with the issue - you're just being 'a humourless bore'.

Which is, as we know, the worst sin imaginable, in the whole of Brittanialand.

Oh I know there's a lot of dodgy stuff going around and I agree that it should be addressed rather than let pass. I just took issue with the specific statement that British comedy is just full of paedo jokes, implying it is in the majority. Generalisations without examples rarely add much to an argument.
I can only talk about mainstream stuff as I very, very rarely get to comedy clubs.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I know, it is, as you say, somewhat miind boggling.

Some might opine that it's down to a degree of what could be termed 'internalised misogyny'

That is, the belief that women, including themselves even, are only due as much respect as society itself chooses to bestow upon them, for sticking to 'the rules'.

That this 'respect' is only earned through given markers, traditionally alotted by patriachal norms.

Ie chastity, and modesty, combined also with fecundity, (soccer mom culture) appropriate levels of attractiveness, and general devotion to servicing the needs, and desires of that patriachal society.

Anyone stepping outside of that, is seen as some kind of mad, or bad, or transgressive woman, threatening to the 'contract'
She will gets what she 'deserves' and only has herself to blame for the consequences, of stepping outside 'the boundaries' .

We as women, are messaged from birth, to comply with this narrow set of 'acceptable' parameters, and behaviours, or face disapproval, or worse.

Overriding all that takes no small degree of effort - I can assure you :rolleyes:

Having said that, figures are showng a slide away from women supporting Trump.

Sure some will still be 'true believers' in some weird twisted fashion. :wacko:

And maybe others will vote as their menfolk darn well tell them to -
-or maybe not once in the voting booth -
-here's hoping.

Johnson btw has made many many remarks pertaining to his disrespectful attitude towards women - quite besides his domestic record - a quick shimmy over to that thread >>> would reveal as much :okay:
arly,
I'm afraid I have to get back to the kitchen now :hello:

I can't pass up an opportunity to post Jeannie C Riley's hit Harper Valley PTA.

Particularly, as the poptastic breakfast DJ told me this morning, it's her birthday.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoMPrjmjeUY

Last edited:
Top Bottom