Jimmy Saville biopic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Faratid

Along with that cycling cheat.

I can't think who you mean. One of these perhaps:
Fausto Coppi, Charly Gaul, Jacques Anquetil, Raymond Poulidor, Tom Simpson, Eddie Merckx, Bernard Thevenet, Francesco Moser, Pedro Delgado, Laurent Fignon, Sean Yates, Claudi Chiapucci, Stephen Roche, Giani Bugno, Marco Pantani, Eric Zabel, Bjarne Riis, Richard Virenque, Alex Zulle, Stuart O’Grady, Frankie Andreu, Tyler Hamilton, George Hincapie, Lance Armstrong, David Millar, Ivan Basso, Floyd Landis, Jan Ullrich ………..oh, I'm getting bored now.

And that's just a selection of the better known riders, but only going back to 1949. The first cases start back in the 19th century.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I took the post as a barbed comment against the press. It was seemingly OK to murder prostitutes and report on it in a very prurient way, but once "respectable" women were murdered that was seen as a bit much. My recollection was they half excused it as the decent girls had been murdered by mistake. I don't think the press are any better

And for the Original Question, a drama about Saville's crimes seems in very poor taste

Yes for sure, and there is still this attitude lingering that certain women are 'asking for it', or deserve violence being done to them, because they are regarded as 'less deserving of respect, or decent treatment.

It comes up repeatedly in court cases, and elsewhere.

It's interesting how very little' disrespect' seems to be directed at the purchasers of sexual services, compared with that dished out to the purveyors.

But in many ways the 'popular' press reflects back the less savoury aspects, and attitudes of society.

Prurience and sensationalism sells, double standards regarding women who do sex work are still the norm.

Which in turn leads to less freedom and safety for women in general.

Even to the abominable idea that some kind of 'God' would be instructing a man to kill sex workers.

Re Saville, yes he was protected, either overtly, or by a collective agreement to ignore the horrible truth.

Let's hope no such thing could happen nowadays.

But many people still seem willing to overlook, some terrible attitudes, from people they will even vote into power.

Trump and that Johnson Johnson, spring immediately to mind.

To my mind it all feeds into an atmosphere, of not really caring enough.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Look hard enough and you’ll find a picture of Savile with anyone who was anyone. Do we think the sainted Diana was in on it too?

BE675DF3-3884-42DF-BD6F-BAB0BD9FC6F5.jpeg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It comes up repeatedly in court cases, and elsewhere.

It doesn't in court, or at least not any more.

In the 27 or so years I've been going to court attitudes to sex abuse victims have improved a lot, which does tell us improvement was needed.

The days of a judge making a clumsy comment about the length of a woman's skirt are gone, and it never happened very often anyway.

Also worth bearing in mind there are now a lot more women barristers and judges who, as a general point, have a better understanding of these matters than men.

In the 1990s I saw male - and female - defending barristers get stuck into rape victims for alleged slutty behaviour, often when there was clearly none.

But there are now procedural rules, albeit complicated and subjective, to prevent that.

DRM

Guru
I don't accept the mutual exclusivity of the two groups was my point - in fact the groups are meaningless - whatever value you put on "decent" - one doesn't stop being it by becoming a prostitute, not does one automatically become / remain it by not adopting the profession. The only distinction is profession, not some arbitrary notion of decency.
Err that’s what I said :wacko:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Haven't you heard? Hes a national treasure!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/national-treasures.7622/page-2#post-161273

Another member had previously referred to him as a "great man" when discussing his charidee work. Hell, I can recall my old feller in the 70's telling my Mum to change channels because "that pucking fervert" (his way of not quite swearing in front of young me) was on the telly. We knew it nearly 50 years ago, but the people that didn't see it were either kids too young to understand, or adults that simply didn't want to believe it - there were plenty of the latter.
Yes, I remember my Dad, who was very gentle and tolerant, saying a few choice words about JS in about 1965, and advising us kids to keep well away from people like him.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
May I be so bold as to ask a question - how and why did he become famous in the first place and remain on TV for such an unusually long time?

I wouldn't have said he was much of an entertainer - he wasn't very funny, I never saw him sing or dance or anything and he always looked and dressed like a twat.

A quite accurate summary, if I may say so ;)

If the series is based on fact and does not gloss over either his role or those who turned a blind eye then I can see very little problem in making people more aware of how these things can happen.

The man was evil, but there is no point in pretending that he didn't exist.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
There is some precedence for a script on Savile by Welsh. In his 1996 collection Ecstasy, one of the stories, Lorraine Goes to Livingston, concerns Freddy Royle, a fictional children’s TV presenter described as the nation’s ‘favourite caring, laconic uncle’, who turns out to be a child molester and necrophiliac, raising millions for the hospital where he commits his crimes. The story was written over 15 years before Savile’s crimes became public

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2013/10/01/jame...nts-to-play-jimmy-savile-4129107/?ito=cbshare
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Ooh

Top Bottom