Jimmy Saville biopic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
One of my mates who is a 6 foot plus ex miner was a keen caravaner, while parked up in Northumberland he went for a run and Saville was out running so he ran along with him for a while, when it came to the point to go different ways, Saville asked my mate if he wanted to go back to his caravan for a cup of tea! in good old News Of The World tradition he made his excuses and left sharpish.

D

Deleted member 1258

From my own point of view I just thought he was an eccentric character until he faded from mainstream media. It wasn't until Louis Theroux's documentary that I thought "actually, this guy is creepy AF".

Thats pretty much how I thought of him till he was exposed, he made a pretty good job of hiding in plain sight and using his influence to stay that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

gbb

Legendary Member
Jimmy Savile once propositioned me. When I was 6 or 7 we went down to that London to visit the Boat Show. Coming back oop norf on the train, Savile was in the next carriage and my dad told me to go and say hello to him. Savile took my hand and asked me if I was married.
My wife recounts a childhood encounter with him, he picked her up and her dad was forced to tell Savile to put her down or risk a lamping. I assume Savile was a little 'overly friendly' to rile her dad.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thats pretty much how I thought of him til he was exposed, he made a pretty good job of hiding in plain sight and using his influence to stay that way.

Never could understand the appeal, even as a little kid when it was commonplace to be writing in to have things 'fixed' :sad:

He gave me the creeps.

Something about the eyes - in particular

One of our correspondents has scoffed at such an idea, but I'm quite happy to stick with my instincts around people, they've generally served me pretty well, on the whole.

But it used to be routine for kids to have to put up with the unwanted attention of adults - to 'be nice' as that self confessed groper Trump himself so revealingly puts it.

At least nowadays more children are being educated in consent, and to the fact they can speak up if they feel uncomfortable., that their bodies belong to them, and to no one else.

But there's still a long way to go before that's the universal experience for all humans.

Brads

My mate gave me one of his compilation albums that he found in his mums wardrobe lol.

some good songs on it actually and a little picture of Jimmy .

They have no idea what else he did but I have no doubt it went as far as killing kids, the man was evil

As for Lance Armstrong , likening him to Savile is pretty sick actually. Folk need to have a word with themselves.

He nearly ruined cycle racing for me, but I'm grown up enough to get over it. Been watching a fair bit of stuff about / by him recently. Interesting an many levels.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I doubt it as being gay in the army is accepted now. I doubt if they even know what brylcream is.
Brylcreem boys was the term used by the Army to describe RAF personnel from pre-WW2 up to oh, about the 80s, based on the fact that airmen would tend to wear their hair slightly longer on top than their Army colleagues. It was most often fashioned into a side parting with the help of the aforementioned hair product. The Navy on the other hand have always refered to Airmen as "crabs". I'm surprised you never heard the former, (unless you're pulling my plonker in which case, congratulations, you got a bite). 🙃

The term brylcreem boy had long since died out by the time I served (90s and 00s). It had been replaced by far less playful, more directly abusive terms. Changing times and a changing society I suppose.

My old great Uncle who was Navy in WW2 did ask me when I signed up whether I'd been issued my tin of brylcreem yet, the cheeky chap. I told him that was pretty rich coming from one brought up on rum, bum, baccy and the lash. 😁

Last edited:
Many people were well aware, specially in the BBC. The police protection he had was also very helpful in him getting away with it.

In the late 1970's, in conversation with a member of staff at Stoke Mandeville, they said they would not be on shift when he was in the building, due to his habits with staff and patients and bizarre interest in the mortuary. They had reported their concerns at the time, as had others, and the response was to support them changing shifts.

Point being, if I was aware way back then, you can bet your bottom dollar those in a position to tackle it must have been aware.

(Not that key BBC figures were the only ones who just decided to look the other way of course).

Prince_Charles_and_Jimmy_Savile-392505.jpg

Top Bottom