Jimmy Saville biopic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do war veterans with PTSD relish programs about conflicts (especially the ones they were in)?
I suspect that any squaddie, bootie, matelot or brylcreem boy that were that badly traumatised wouldn't be daft enough watch it in the first place.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think it is insulting for the organisation who were complicit in these offences to actually produce the programme. They'd better make it look like "this is how evil he was" otherwsie they'll get a lot of complaints. But then again, high numbers of complaints are all "advertising" which gets people talking and raising the programmes profile, so I doubt they'll care much.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The beeb do these biopics very well, the one about Thorpe was brilliant. I think we’re all amazed that he managed to get away with it for so long so anything that explores that will I’m sure be of interest to a great many people.

Absolutely.

Many people were well aware, specially in the BBC.

This will be the interesting thing - seeing how they far they acknowledge their own failings. (Not very far would be my guess.)

What if anything it will mean to/for any of his victims is hard to say. I would've thought that other things being equal, most would see it as a good thing not having the whole thing simply swept under the carpet...but who can say? I guess a lot hangs on how (and how well) it's done.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think it is insulting for the organisation who were complicit in these offences to actually produce the programme. They'd better make it look like "this is how evil he was" otherwsie they'll get a lot of complaints. But then again, high numbers of complaints are all "advertising" which gets people talking and raising the programmes profile, so I doubt they'll care much.
Good point, well made. You can bet there won't be any emphasis on how the BBC helped him get away with it dor so many years.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have no doubt it will be a popular watch, judging by how often similar programmes are in the most viewed section on Netflix (even though most are American). That's a good point about it being made open, rather than being swept under the carpet. But as you say, if it's simply a glorified this is your life type programme then a lot of people are going to have strong feelings about it.

Edited to add: Having watched some of the American ones (my partner loves them) they are usually very well done in terms of suspense, and creating some sort of insight into how the investigatinos were run. Personally I only watch that sort of thing for the reward at the end i.e. when the criminal dies or gets locked up for life. That is a big part of what people want IMO; a feeling of closure, justice and in some cases revenge. I watched Don't f*** with cats" and thought it was very good. But I'm still in doubt as to whether the BBC can pull that sort of thing off. We shall see

Last edited:
The 1970's were a different era. We didnt really understand that grown up men forcing themselves on young teenage girls was in any way a bad thing. Or that murdering lots of prostututes and a few decent women by mistake was wrong. By watching this dramatic re-enactment we can learn and grow. Hopefully if we can get inside the psychology of Mr Savile and really understand his motivation we can prevent other powerful, creepy, bullying perverts from ever fixing it for girls and boys ever again. That is why I will be watching it.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If it emphasises how a collective blind eye can be turned to abuse, and how we avoid that in the future, then it may be a valuable show.

There's still plenty of it going on, behind closed doors, but there seems to be an almost overwhelming collective silence.

Or silencing, victims are told to shush not make a fuss, or are accused of lying, making things up.
For supposed 'fame' or cash benefit.

Whistle blowers are rubbished, their careers ruined.

I won't be watching it.

The man gave me the creeps since I very first saw him.

First instincts can be very instructive.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The 1970's were a different era. We didnt really understand that grown up men forcing themselves on young teenage girls was in any way a bad thing. Or that murdering lots of prostututes and a few decent women by mistake was wrong. By watching this dramatic re-enactment we can learn and grow. Hopefully if we can get inside the psychology of Mr Savile and really understand his motivation we can prevent other powerful, creepy, bullying perverts from ever fixing it for girls and boys ever again. That is why I will be watching it.

Trouble is, some folks will be nodding along sagely with this..

Even now :sad:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
But I'm still in doubt as to whether the BBC can pull that sort of thing off

The BBC's role in the making of the programme is largely that of a commissioning editor.

That's why the BBC staffer quoted in the story is described as an 'executive' producer - he is managing the independent production company which is actually making the programme.

In other words, the corporation is saying to the film maker: "We will pay you to make the film, and we agree to broadcast it."

There could be some creative tension between the two parties, which may or may not become public.

However, it's likely the production company will have an editorial independence clause in its contract with the BBC.

The BBC article in the OP is carefully written to stress the corporation's complicity in Savile's behaviour, so no one is attempting a whitewash here.

A Newsnight investigation into Savile was halted before completion, which the BBC later apologised for - they couldn't do a lot else by then.

Not that suffocating Newsnight made a great deal of difference.

The story broke on ITV instead, because once again those doing the digging were independent so were able to take what they found out to another broadcaster.

At the heart of that timing was Savile dying.

No doubt he was a big beast for any journalist to tackle, but you (almost) cannot libel the dead, so all bets were off after he carked it.

Top Bottom