Jimmy Saville biopic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
May I be so bold as to ask a question - how and why did he become famous in the first place and remain on TV for such an unusually long time?

I wouldn't have said he was much of an entertainer - he wasn't very funny, I never saw him sing or dance or anything and he always looked and dressed like a twat.

sheddy

Legendary Member
He was very well connected through his charity work and made sure he was completely teflon.

Drago

Legendary Member
Finding someone who admits to liking Savile is as hard as finding someone who admits to voting for Brexit in 5 years time.
Some people must have liked him otherwise he wouldn’t have been successful for so long.
Haven't you heard? Hes a national treasure!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/national-treasures.7622/page-2#post-161273

Another member had previously referred to him as a "great man" when discussing his charidee work. Hell, I can recall my old feller in the 70's telling my Mum to change channels because "that pucking fervert" (his way of not quite swearing in front of young me) was on the telly. We knew it nearly 50 years ago, but the people that didn't see it were either kids too young to understand, or adults that simply didn't want to believe it - there were plenty of the latter.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Haven't you heard? Hes a national treasure!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/national-treasures.7622/page-2#post-161273

Another member had previously referred to him as a "great man" when discussing his charidee work. Hell, I can recall my old feller in the 70's telling my Mum to change channels because "that pucking fervert" (his way of not quite swearing in front of young me) was on the telly. We knew it nearly 50 years ago, but the people that didn't see it were either kids too young to understand, or adults that simply didn't want to believe it - there were plenty of the latter.
Time has treated that post badly. Savile, Harris and Johnson all national treasures!

Seevio

Guru
May I be so bold as to ask a question - how and why did he become famous in the first place and remain on TV for such an unusually long time?

I wouldn't have said he was much of an entertainer - he wasn't very funny, I never saw him sing or dance or anything and he always looked and dressed like a twat.
He was a radio DJ and top of the pops presenter in the times when these people were culturally important. He also hosted a feel-good prime time family entertainment programme. Then there was the impressive amount of charity work. To the general public who knew nothing about the allegations he was one of the good guys. Those who knew differently weren't saying anything.

From my own point of view I just thought he was an eccentric character until he faded from mainstream media. It wasn't until Louis Theroux's documentary that I thought "actually, this guy is creepy AF".

DRM

Guru
He was a radio DJ and top of the pops presenter in the times when these people were culturally important. He also hosted a feel-good prime time family entertainment programme. Then there was the impressive amount of charity work. To the general public who knew nothing about the allegations he was one of the good guys. Those who knew differently weren't saying anything.

From my own point of view I just thought he was an eccentric character until he faded from mainstream media. It wasn't until Louis Theroux's documentary that I thought "actually, this guy is creepy AF".
And prior to all that was running night clubs and dance halls.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Got any evidence to support this

Or is that a "must be" because of the

Can't loose that one can you?

Just ask anyone who works in social services, or the police, if this kind of abuse has gone away?

Or are they making it all up too?

The online world has made the situation worse in some ways.

And not all of it comes to light, by any measure.

Many victims are shamed, or coerced into maintaining their silence, and suffer long term effects.

But you knew all of the above anyway really, didn't you.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
He was a radio DJ and top of the pops presenter in the times when these people were culturally important.

Exactly so, Savile and a few of the other DJs in the 60s played a big part in bringing the new 'pop' music to the people.

Their influence continued into the 70s.

A small example of that is Freddie Mercury played a pre-release version of Bohemian Rhapsody to Kenny Everett to get his opinion.

Jimmy Savile once propositioned me. When I was 6 or 7 we went down to that London to visit the Boat Show. Coming back oop norf on the train, Savile was in the next carriage and my dad told me to go and say hello to him. Savile took my hand and asked me if I was married.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
He was a radio DJ and top of the pops presenter in the times when these people were culturally important. He also hosted a feel-good prime time family entertainment programme.
It’s easy to forget how influential these people were.
With only 3 TV channels and only a few radio stations anyone on TV was a household name.

No one today would have the same cultural impact as it is all so diluted. I couldn’t name you a single current Radio 1 DJ.

I suspect that any squaddie, bootie, matelot or brylcreem boy that were that badly traumatised wouldn't be daft enough watch it in the first place.
In the 1960s the President of our kayak club who had spent some time getting around North Africa in an armoured car used the term brylcreem boys in a derogatory fashion.
I don't think I have heard of brylcreem as a hair product since about that so interested to know that the term still exists in military circles. .

Drago

Legendary Member
In the 1960s the President of our kayak club who had spent some time getting around North Africa in an armoured car used the term brylcreem boys in a derogatory fashion.
I don't think I have heard of brylcreem as a hair product since about that so interested to know that the term still exists in military circles. .
It did over 30 years ago when I was in, but chatting to one of my neighbours who is serving Major it seems the slang has moved on somewhat.

Top Bottom