Jimmy Young RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
TTFN.

TVC

What's the recipe today Jim?

Only discussed the other day that my early memories of time off primary school for chicken pox, German measles and the miriad of mundane infections a developing imune system falls foul of were narrated by Jimmy Young. The recipes and the seemingly constant repetition of Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell playing on the 'music centre' whilst my mother did motherly things and I lay on the draylon sofa being generally fed up.

Always slightly in the shadow of Terry Wogan, you knew he really wanted, and deserved the breakfast gig. RIP.

Dave7

Legendary Member
What about The Man from Laramie ? Is he still going ?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Our family radiogram had two flaps that opened vertically. One had the turntable but I can't remember what lurked beneath the other one. Was it a wireless with Hilversum somewhere on the dial?

It wasn't exactly ours but my grandparents. I'd listen to it when i stayed there. It was a 1954 Bush, with the radio having the usual Luxembourg, Vienna, Berlin,Stockholm etc frequencies(I can't remember Hilversumhe being on but maybe it was). The radio stopped working years ago.because of a dodgy valve or something. my mum had the thing in her room of the home she's in until my brother decided he wanted it so it's now in his latest place of abode. I'll probably never see it again.:sad:

This isn't a brilliant picture but it's the same one i reckon.
301988229428_1.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It wasn't exactly ours but my grandparents. I'd listen to it when i stayed there. It was a 1954 Bush, with the radio having the usual Luxembourg, Vienna, Berlin,Stockholm etc frequencies(I can't remember Hilversumhe being on but maybe it was). The radio stopped working years ago.because of a dodgy valve or something. my mum had the thing in her room of the home she's in until my brother decided he wanted it so it's now in his latest place of abode. I'll probably never see it again.:sad:

301988229428_1.jpg
Now this one will sound fantastic,
attachment.php?attachmentid=37267&d=1277299257.jpg

QUAD 22 Pre-Amp and FM2/ AM2 tuners built into a cabinet, it may have a single QUAD 11 valve power amp (mono) or it could have a pair (stereo) but either set-up would 'knock spots off' the majority of modern kit.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Now this one will sound fantastic,
attachment.php?attachmentid=37267&d=1277299257.jpg

QUAD 22 Pre-Amp and FM2/ AM2 tuners built into a cabinet, it may have a single QUAD 11 valve power amp (mono) or it could have a pair (stereo) but either set-up would 'knock spots off' the majority of modern kit.

They all had beautiful polished wood cabinets. I remember getting a rollicking if i even thought about putting a cup of tea on top of it.

Tim Hall

301988229428_1.jpg
It's usually a dodgy transformer, again and again. A dodgy transformer that cost three pound ten.

Top Bottom