Job interview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
Going for an interview this afternoon, the company is big on being green. The Policy statement for the Environmental Management System mentions ... zero landfill policy, 100% re-use, minimise CO2 emissions.... etc.

Should I ask about shower/changing facilities and whether or not they participate in the cycle to work scheme? (must get the important stuff in)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
just tell them you're keen to keep your carbon footprint (and theirs) down by cycling in to work. that should prompt them to tell you about the facilities.

better to get it out of them that way than make it look like you're after something…

good luck.

Ravenz

let us know after the event.. good luck anyways!!.. we may be pleasantly surprised that their policies are not full of PR shoite written by idiots who have company BMWs!!

Danny

Legendary Member
I agree with Alec & Kirstie.

You could also say that you were impressed by their environmental statement and wondered what they do to encourage employees to contribute to making the company more sustainable.

This would address Alec's point about not wanting to appear as if you are after something. Also the quality of their response will give you an idea about whether they are really serious about green issues.

Unless suitability for cycle commuting is your No1 priority for a job, I'd keep quiet until you've got the position.

Cycling is still seen as a little eccentric by some folk.

You want to be as "normal" as possible for an interview, unfortunately.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Most of the big companies at Thames Valley Business Park, including Microsoft, have very pious corporate social responsibility statements, which doesn't seem to prevent them keeping their lights on all the time. What's the betting they switch their office equipment off at night either?

Good luck with the interview.

jay clock

Massive member
I worked in HR for a long time. DO NOT ask at that point. There is a strong risk that the interviewer thinks it is a load of leftie greenie sandal wearing rubbish.

Get the offer, then ask. Or perhaps once 2bd interviews come up, in a fairly casual manner

Good luck!

U

User482

MichaelM said:
Going for an interview this afternoon, the company is big on being green. The Policy statement for the Environmental Management System mentions ... zero landfill policy, 100% re-use, minimise CO2 emissions.... etc.
Should I ask about shower/changing facilities and whether or not they participate in the cycle to work scheme? (must get the important stuff in)

A shame I missed this earlier - if you want any help on this for a 2nd interview then feel free to PM me - I do all that sort of stuff for a living.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ask them if you can have an allocation of two parking spaces so you can park the Hummer. They will see someone who has earned enough to afford one as a better asset to the company than some lentil chewing tree hugger who is going to spend all day arguing with normal people on internet forums.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Had the interview and was shown around. I had it emphasized that we're big on re-cycling and the cardboard crusher was pointed out. No HR rep, just someone from the technical department. I was feeling rather underwhelmed and thinking whatever the wage was, it wasn't going to be enough - so when we got to the well if you don't have any more questions bit, I just came out and asked if there were any changing/shower facilities on site.

This gave rise to a rather questioning look. I mentioned that I like to cycle to work. That's a fair ride he said. I told him that approx 14 miles would take around an hour by bike - which compares quite well to the 25/30 mins it took me to drive there (I was in a suit!).

Anyway, the showers were taken out to reduce the risk of Legionella.

Top Bottom