Jockey wheel orientation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Today's daft question:

While cleaning my rear mech I thought I might as well take the jockey wheels out to clean and regrease them.

What could be simpler, or so I thought? I learned Lesson No 1 a long time ago - before taking anything apart, make a note of how it's put together - so I was congratulating myself on noting that the upper guide pulley wasn't the same as the lower tension one. The upper one, incidentally, had the best part of 1mm side-to-side play, but a bit of Googling revealed that that was by design, so no danger of confusing that with the lower one.

But it wasn't till I took the lower jockey wheel out and got it on the bench that I noticed it was asymmetric - the teeth are offset to one side - and of course I hadn't noted whether it was installed with the teeth offset to the inboard or outboard.

Could some kind soul who has a Shimano Acera M360, either on the bike or on a shelf somewhere, please put me out of my misery by telling me which way round the pulley is installed?

MTIA

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I just happen to have a new one sitting in a box in front of me, and the teeth are offset outboard of the bike.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I cleaned mine last week and they had arrows on showing the direction of rotation (and therefore which way round you should fit them). As well as being labelled 'upper' and 'lower'.

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I cleaned mine last week and they had arrows on showing the direction of rotation (and therefore which way round you should fit them). As well as being labelled 'upper' and 'lower'.

Oh dear, then there's a 50:50 chance I've put the upper one back the wrong way round !

I knew I should have stuck with my Huret. :ohmy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The one I'm looking at doesn't have those marks. Might just be on higher spec models?
I can't remember what type they are. I'm fairly sure that they are not the original Campanolo jockey wheels because they didn't look particularly worn and the derailleur is 15 years old! I have a vague recollection of replacing them a few years back.

Top Bottom