Jockey Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you sure you didn't lose a bit? Mine were both the same.

Left one goes on top, It is the guide pulley, Once you've re-inserted the bush, confirm that I am right by looking for side-to-side play in the pulley. The top one can move side-to-side by about 1mm.

[QUOTE 3594123, member: 9609"]thats what I thought too, but the inner bit does fit perfectly, so nothing missing. I have never seen any diff between jockey wheels before.

So I was sort of right, but may be not for the precise reason[/QUOTE]
Right is right. Never admit that it was for the wrong reasons.

sittingbull

Veteran
They look quite worn, particularly the guide pulley. Being "driven" rather than "driving", does it make much difference?

At what point should they be replaced? When the teeth won't hold (and shift) the chain under lateral load or before?

They look quite worn, particularly the guide pulley. Being "driven" rather than "driving", does it make much difference?

At what point should they be replaced? When the teeth won't hold (and shift) the chain under lateral load?
They are neither driving nor driven sprockets. They are idlers. However, the tension pulley usually wears first. I suspect it is because of what its name suggests and that dirt reaches it first and either settles into a less abrasive position before it gets to the guide pulley or some such. People who cross chain a lot wear the pulleys down from the side, which makes the contact interfaces thin and more subject to wear.
They should be replaced when the teeth (cogs) become sharp and have lost their flat tops. After that they reduce in radius, causes the chain to articulate more and run noisier. Once they are worn down on the side, they easily derail from the chain. This usually destroys the cage because the chain drops off but the rider hardly notices it, grinding away through the cage from the inside out.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The longer inner bush goes with the metal lined one at the top, when assembled it should have 1mm or so sideways float (that is what makes 'indexing' work correctly)

S.Giles

Right is right. Never admit that it was for the wrong reasons.
Why?

To score brownie points. To appear invincible. To come across as a visionary. To be seen as a superhero. To be in a position where you can put your tongue firmly in your cheek and say "I knew that" and then wink at those who know that you know that they know. Pick your choose. Have some fun.

S.Giles

To score brownie points. To appear invincible. To come across as a visionary. To be seen as a superhero. To be in a position where you can put your tongue firmly in your cheek and say "I knew that" and then wink at those who know that you know that they know. Pick your choose. Have some fun.
All that acclaim would go to my head. Besides, I need to display some fallibility to just to show I'm only human!

Top Bottom