Jockey wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flash1982

Please help!

I've recently changed my jockey wheels to tacx 10 tooth appropriate for shimano 8 speed cassettes and derailure. Seems to be running smooth upto 14-16 where it becomes noisy and feels sluggish when pedalling. I think this is because the jockey wheels that where on was 11 tooth shimano. Will removing a chain link remedy this? Or do I just get the 11 tooth version of the jockey wheel?
Your insights will be greatly appreciated!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't see that going to 10t jockey wheels is going to make much difference. More likely to be poor chain line on 14/16t cassette?

OP
OP
Flash1982

Flash1982

Thanks for the response. The rear cassette is 30-11 tooth and the gears making the noise are gear 14, 15, and 16.

C R

Guru
Were the original jockey wheels both the same size? I think one is usually smaller than the other.

Another thing to check that the derailleur was reassembled correctly, with everything going back in the right order, and check that the hanger wasn't knocked out of alignment.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tacx jockeys may need a spacer (supplied in pack) to ensure the cage is far enough away from the chain - I use them on my 8 speed XT rear mech. You really should have the same number of teeth for the mech as the original wheels. If I didn't use the spacers, the chain would rub the cage as the Tacx jockeys are narrower.

TBH they are fab jockey wheels, need no maintenance, other than cleaning the teeth.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you fitted them the in the right place, the bottom wheel and top wheel are different, the top one should have about 1mm side to side movement whereas the bottom one doesn't.

Tacx jockeys are fixed, no movement as sealed bearings. The work very well though.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Were the original jockey wheels both the same size? I think one is usually smaller than the other.

Another thing to check that the derailleur was reassembled correctly, with everything going back in the right order, and check that the hanger wasn't knocked out of alignment.

Tacx jockey wheels come with a selection of plastic bushes and care should be used to select the right one for your derailleur, also bear in mind the change of jockey wheel size could result in a lack of chain tension on some gears (seems unlikely but worth checking)
and potentially cause the jockey wheel to crash into the cassette. You might need to drop a link or two if there is an issue.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I find that it works fine, a little more precise, But more care/accuracy needed when setting up/adjusting.
I'd say a lot more precise adjustments, the float is there to prevent the chain sideplates riding on the top of the sprocket teeth instead of the chain rollers engaging the tooth.

Oh and BTW I used to 'enjoy' this phenomenon on my old Carlton with the original Simplex (I think) rear mech, I know that on 9 speed up the chain side plates are thinner but still.

Top Bottom