Jockey wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Just been tinkering with the bike for the 134th time this week in an attempt to get it running something like it should, and noticed the jockey wheels are showing signs of 'play'.
Question is will these fit a 9speed road bike? -

Shimano jockey wheels

They are in the MTB section but I thought 9 speed was all I needed to get?

Cheers.

Zoiders

The top pulley or - jockey wheel, is meant have side to side play in it so that it tracks with the indexed sprocket under drive, this stops the chain jamming.

The bottom jockey wheel doesnt need so much play but it still needs a little bit to spin well, I still doubt if your jockey wheels are the fault.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm with Zoiders on this. The Jockey wheels do have some play in them.
Undo the cage plate (1 screw one side, 1 the other), take them out and give them a clean. Remembering which one is the top one.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
The top pulley or - jockey wheel, is meant have side to side play in it so that it tracks with the indexed sprocket under drive, this stops the chain jamming.

The bottom jockey wheel doesnt need so much play but it still needs a little bit to spin well, I still doubt if your jockey wheels are the fault.

Cheers Zoiders, I had noticed that one seemed to have more 'play' than the other hence me thinking it may be worn.
Without wanting to start a new thread, should the cassette have a bit of play when tightened up on the hub? Or the freehub itself maybe? There's a definite side to side movement there.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I'm with Zoiders on this. The Jockey wheels do have some play in them.
Undo the cage plate (1 screw one side, 1 the other), take them out and give them a clean. Remembering which one is the top one.

Clean? What's that? :biggrin: I have given them a blast of the unmentionable spray type stuff to get the worst of the crud off ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Clean? What's that? :biggrin: I have given them a blast of the unmentionable spray type stuff to get the worst of the crud off ;)

And you wonder why your bike is falling apart..
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
No it shouldnt.

Sounnds like the spacer is missing form behind it or the lock ring is not spun all the way down.

Mmm now you could be onto something. Should there be a spacer behind the cassette? Don't think there is at the minute, I have kept the old cassette in a box and can't see anything in there either.
When I had the cassette off last time the freehub itself felt a bit wobbly, think I'll give in and finally take it in for a look see :biggrin: Have been trying to sort it myself but not been very successful as you can tell, will ride straight to the bike shop on way home tomorrow and see if they can fit me in.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's also possible the freehub bearing has play in it. The only way to check that is to take the cassette off and wiggle the freehub body.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
It's also possible the freehub bearing has play in it. The only way to check that is to take the cassette off and wiggle the freehub body.

I think it has Cubist, as posted above. Are these replaceable then?
At least I'm getting some use out of my toolset I bought last year :thumbsup:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I think it has Cubist, as posted above. Are these replaceable then?
At least I'm getting some use out of my toolset I bought last year :thumbsup:
Yes, they should be, but I would expect it to be an LBS job unless you have a bearing extractor and a bearing press..... it all depends on the hub.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Yes, they should be, but I would expect it to be an LBS job unless you have a bearing extractor and a bearing press..... it all depends on the hub.

Just having a quick look around and they are about £30+ for a replacement plus fitting. New wheel would only cost about £70 :sad: Shimano RS10's.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Just having a quick look around and they are about £30+ for a replacement plus fitting. New wheel would only cost about £70 :sad: Shimano RS10's.

Have a word with your LBS. The service guide says not to disassemble the freehub body, but you never know, they might well be able to do it.
I've just had a freehub serviced with new bearings,. It cost 30 quid to rebuild with Hope bearings, against a replacement of 50 with SKS shite so I win!

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
After a professional once over today, I am going for a new back wheel. The freehub is very worn and would need replacing anyway, also he reckons the cup and cones could also be on the way out.
Must note this was a quick once over not a full exam.
Only slightly dearer to get a replacement wheel so am doing that, otherwise it's a full strip down, possible new bits and replace, for the extra money I'd rather have a new wheel.
Hopefully come Friday night/Saturday morning it will be a joy to ride again, it's not been that much fun riding it knowing there's something amiss :thumbsup:

Top Bottom