Joe Wickes workouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

I know Joe Wickes is really cheesy and annoying but I have just done his first workout from when he came back in Jan 21.

It’s a good 20 min workout for cyclists as it involves a lot of explosive moves such as burpees, squats and jumping up, down and sideways.

Will try and continue with the workout as a mix up to the turbo trainer and road riding.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I went to a book reading/interview with him 18-24 months back. Myself and a friend had expected to pick up some interesting information about exercise and nutrition.

My overall impression was he knew little, if anything, about nutrition and was selling cook books - largely to an audience with zero interest in exercise. It was a very poor event.

I realise he's been very big on telly this year. I haven't seen any of his programmes. Based on seeing him with a live audience I doubt he offers any real value or insight. However anything which gets a TV audience to move around is better than nothing.

Five mornings a week I do a 30-35 minute routine based around stretches, balance (core), weights and a variety of squats. In my view concentrating on the core provides cycling benefits. My prime interest in this is to actively wake my body up every day and stretch/use muscles that might not otherwise be used much.

I can't see the value of burpees, jumping up, down and sideways in relation to cycling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bikingdad90
I see your point that it is possibly isn’t for endurance riding but for a stomp up a short hill or a sprint for a road sign where you need to put out the power it makes more sense.

I’m looking forward to seeing how his other workouts pan out. In 2020 he did a load of planks and core work mixed in with the burpees and jumping which was good for core strength.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I see your point that it is possibly isn’t for endurance riding but for a stomp up a short hill or a sprint for a road sign where you need to put out the power it makes more sense.

I’m looking forward to seeing how his other workouts pan out. In 2020 he did a load of planks and core work mixed in with the burpees and jumping which was good for core strength.
I ride social, endurance and I'm a hill climber but a poor sprinter!!! As I say if it gets people exercising great but to my mind it's all about the Joe Wickes personality and cook books. His live audience was surprising and gushingly adoring. It was disappointing to see but may well be typical of the market.

Good luck and hope it works well for you.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
They were promoted as PE classes. They were not PE classes.

A friend of mine hurt her back quite badly doing some of the first wave of JW's classes.

She is generally pretty fit, and sporty, and has 'body awareness'

I think any generic exercise class has to be pretty moderate if the vast majority are to benefit, and injury avoided.

My yoga teaching association is very strict about who I can teach online.

I'm OK to do real time, group classes for bodies that I've encountered in real life.

But if I want to take on a new student, I have to schedule in at least one, one to one session with them to find out what their particular issues may be, and to get them familiar with the basics.

It's a bit frustrating when you know that other people are putting out 'generic ' exercise classes, that may or may not benefit others.

But at the end if it all, we can only police what we ourselves are doing, and maintain the integrity of our own methods.

winjim

Smash the cistern
A friend of mine hurt her back quite badly doing some of the first wave of JW's classes.

She is generally pretty fit, and sporty, and has 'body awareness'

I think any generic exercise class has to be pretty moderate if the vast majority are to benefit, and injury avoided.

My yoga teaching association is very strict about who I can teach online.

I'm OK to do real time, group classes for bodies that I've encountered in real life.

But if I want to take on a new student, I have to schedule in at least one, one to one session with them to find out what their particular issues may be, and to get them familiar with the basics.

It's a bit frustrating when you know that other people are putting out 'generic ' exercise classes, that may or may not benefit others.

But at the end if it all, we can only police what we ourselves are doing, and maintain the integrity of our own methods.
As they were 'PE classes' we tried to do them with the kids. We lasted about two sessions. We also tried Oti Mabuse's dance classes but she filmed them all in portrait which just made me cross.

Our 5yo does the Cosmic Kids' Yoga on YouTube which is pretty fun. It's all children's stories and fairy tales taking them through the positions. And the 1yo copies his sister which is cute.

Jacksyboy

Try the Freeletics app but be honest when registering your data and fitness levels. Excellent for all-round fitness. Cheaper and easier than gyms when they reopen. I've been using since April last year and got into shape until xmas when i went off the rails. Back to it now

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As they were 'PE classes' we tried to do them with the kids. We lasted about two sessions. We also tried Oti Mabuse's dance classes but she filmed them all in portrait which just made me cross.

Our 5yo does the Cosmic Kids' Yoga on YouTube which is pretty fun. It's all children's stories and fairy tales taking them through the positions. And the 1yo copies his sister which is cute.

Yikes.. Not portrait :eek:

You'll be relieved to hear all my classes are presented in landscape form.. :whistle:

After a few months of it, I'm even quite pleased with my 'camerawoman' skills to get the best presentation angle.

I still can't resist telling everyone to "Hold on tight" if I have to move the laptop from one part of the studio to another though. :rolleyes:

A friend teaches kids themed yoga - dinosaurs, outer space, animal antics n all that - it looks like so much fun.

I'm too old to join in apparently..

Hrrmph... :angry:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Kids have just been showing me the yoga moves they were doing earlier today. It was 'We're going on a bear hunt'.

Squelch squerch, squelch squerch 🐻

Top Bottom