joe90

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello Anybody
This is my first visit to the site, I found it while looking for information on about riding from Leeds to Liverpool on the canal tow path. I'm not a great cyclist and don't expect to do it one hit. Can anybody give me any tips about how to go about it. Thanks

User3143 said:
Practise makes perfect.

That's it, in a nutshell!

Get yourself a suitable bike and set up correctly accordingto your sizing; get the right clothing for the time of year and time of day/night you hope to cycle, and make sure you have enough time to get the miles in your legs before undertaking this ride, or you will feel STIFF!

Good luck, and welcome to the forum, BTW! :girl:

snorri

Legendary Member
joe 90 said:
I'm not a great cyclist and don't expect to do it one hit. Can anybody give me any tips about how to go about it. Thanks

Welcome to the forum Joe90:smile: There are no 'great cyclists' on here, we are all just 'cyclists';)
I don't know about the route from Leeds to Liverpool, if no one comes on here to give you that info., post a similar message in the Tour and Expedition section.:blush:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Welcome Joe My limited experience on towpaths is that the surface varies from very smooth to quite rough/muddy.

On the rougher bits a bike with wider softer tyres will be more comfortable and allow you to go faster without jarring yourself and the bike too much.This is the opposite of smooth roads where harder narrower tyres are usually faster.

You wont need suspension forks or knobbly mountain bike tyres though.Both make pedalling harder.

perplexed

Guru
joe 90 said:
Hello Anybody
This is my first visit to the site, I found it while looking for information on about riding from Leeds to Liverpool on the canal tow path. I'm not a great cyclist and don't expect to do it one hit. Can anybody give me any tips about how to go about it. Thanks

Hello and welcome, hope it goes well!

When are you planning to do the trip?

Perhaps when you've done it, you could write a little piece and post it on here. It'd make interesting reading. :biggrin:

OP
OP
J

joe 90

Thanks P I'm in the early stages of planning it but will happily write a little piece about the experience
Cheers Joe 90

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
A friend and I cycled the section from Barnoldswick to Bingley last year. Very easy going but superb scenery. The towpaths are mostly smoothish gravel with a few unsurfaced sections which would be a bit clarty in the rain. Plenty of places to divert for refreshments.

As far as a bike is concerned, a hybrid with 30-35mm width tyres would easily cope, but due to the muddy bits and in a couple of places, concrete slabs with concealed narrow gaps, I wouldn't want to risk a road bike.

To be legal, you need to download a free cycle permit from here.

OP
OP
J

joe 90

Hello Perplexed

I did the trip ( 80 miles of it anyway) how do I post the piece, just write it here as a reply or is there another way?
Thanks
Joe90
Hello and welcome, hope it goes well!

When are you planning to do the trip?

Perhaps when you've done it, you could write a little piece and post it on here. It'd make interesting reading. :biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
Well done Joe90 :cheers:

I did the trip ( 80 miles of it anyway) how do I post the piece, just write it here as a reply or is there another way?
You could add it to the My Ride Today thread in the Cafe section, or as a tour report in Tour and Expedition.
Have you got a new target in mind?

OP
OP
J

joe 90

Well done Joe90 :cheers:

You could add it to the My Ride Today thread in the Cafe section, or as a tour report in Tour and Expedition.
Have you got a new target in mind?

Thanks Snorri
Yes, I plan to join a charity event next summer, it's aim is to raise money for Altzheimers. It's 100k around the Vale of York, It looks a fairly flat route so I'm fairly confident I'll manage it as long as I keep riding regularly throughout the year. I'll try posting the" canal story" as you suggested and thanks for your response.
Cheers
Joe

Top Bottom