Jogging , cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi every one I been jogging for roughly 3 months and love it. I can do about 3 to 4 miles and progressing well. I did nearly hit 5 miles last week which felt great but then my knee started to play up the next day so I have rolled back the distance. A case of rushing ahead too soon.
Yesterday I picked up my subway ltd took it for 2 miles last night and thought this is great ( after not cycling since i was kid ) . As with the running despite wanting to go hairing off up the daulcarrage way to the nearest town 9 miles away and back I know I need to build up slowly.
What would be the best approach to training with the primary goal being the running. Any thoughts welcome :tongue:

I am 40 this year weigh nearly 14 stone. Lost a stone since running.
My last 10 years since working in IT other than a bit of fishing have been hardly any exercise. Before that I was in the forestry and got plenty a bit too much in fact :cheers:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Just cycle to start with I'd say, look at the map and find places to ride to. Build up the distance, but if you bite off more than you can chew it tends to hurt less than with running.

What sort of cycling do you want to do? when I cycled mostly for leisure and commuting I didn't do any specific training I just rode regularly. I started racing- time trials and now cyclocross- in my late 30s/ early 40s so now I include some more targetted training most weeks.

OP
OP
captainhastings
palinurus said:
Just cycle to start with I'd say, look at the map and find places to ride to. Build up the distance, but if you bite off more than you can chew it tends to hurt less than with running.

What sort of cycling do you want to do? when I cycled mostly for leisure and commuting I didn't do any specific training I just rode regularly. I started racing- time trials and now cyclocross- in my late 30s/ early 40s so now I include some more targetted training most weeks.

Well I started the running just to keep fit but now I want to run long distances. I can see the bike riding heading the same way. My 1st 2 miles last night after not riding for years felt nice and easy so I can see the cycling being a lot less stressful on the old joints ;)
Either way its all good

RedBike

If you're regularly running 4 or 5 miles then 9 miles to the next town and back shouldn't be a big problem.

Unlike running remember to keep eating and drinking as you ride. This isn't majorly important on shorter rides; but it's vital on longer rides.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You have to watch the knee problems with running, along with achilles tendonitis, shin splints and plantar fasciitis problems. Cycling's a bit less tough on your joints, although it can still exacerbate knee problems. It's still a lot better to do exercise, even with all the injuries. You might want to check your trainers. If you over-pronate, your ITB muscles have to work very hard to stabalise your knee. Over time, the imbalance in muscle strength either side of your knee pulls it out of track slightly and irritates the cartilage. Or something like that. If you go to a good running kit shop, such as Sweatshop, they should be able to assess whether you could do with trainers with arch supports. You can also get orthotics, which are like inserts for your trainers. There are some runners who say you don't need these things, but just need to change your running style, but that's quite difficult to do. Anyway, when you're on your bike, spinning low gears is better for your knees than pushing big gears. Also, climbing by standing up out of the saddle puts a lot of force through your knees. Positioning your arse further back on the saddle, so you can still get some leverage is kinder on your knees when climbing hills.

jimboalee

If you ever join a gym, make sure they have one of these.

http://www.fitnessblowout.com/equipment/stair-climber/stepmill-sm916

Load yourself up with a 10 kg back pack and get climbing.

You will be stepping at 100 - 120 steps /min ( 50 - 60 rpm equivalent on a bike ).

Get your heart rate up to 95% and see if you can last for 30 minutes.

The next time you go cycling and there is a 12% hill in front of you, stand up and ride at 55 cadence on a high gear.
12% INCLINES BECOME EASY.

lukesdad

Just a word of caution the only problems you may incur with overdoing it cycling may be back problems, make sure you are correctly fitted on your bike. IVE RUN AND cYCLED ALL MY LIFE AND THE TWO DICIPLINES ARE COMPLETLY DIFFERENT AND DIFFERENT INJURIES.

Top Bottom