JOGLE May 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob Page

Well only 4 months until myself and a friend attempt our first JOGLE and it's route planning time...........I have trawled through endless websites, blogs and forums and come up with a 10 day route that avoids all the known black spots (mainly the A30 & A9) but I'm still debating 2 things that I would appreciate some advice on:

1) Should we cycle over Dartmoor or around it?
2) What's the best route through the Wigan, Warrington area. By best I mean the least busy roads?

I look forward to any other feed back anybody might have.

Rob

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Wigan is not a bad place to cycle but I would contact these guys they are bound to help you out.

http://www.wiganwheelers.org/

Steve

CafGriff

I'm thinking about going up n around Dartmoor ... travelling from LE to Perranporth = 47 miles then on to Launceston 56 = miles on the Silverton = 50 miles. I'm looking to take off @ March to mid April. I haven't set a ko date yet ... unfortunately work is getting in the way I have to get the ride in before 10th May ( a work colleague is on holiday ) .... I'm working on winning the lottery ! Then aren't we all ? Ha!!

theloafer

Legendary Member
Well only 4 months until myself and a friend attempt our first JOGLE and it's route planning time...........I have trawled through endless websites, blogs and forums and come up with a 10 day route that avoids all the known black spots (mainly the A30 & A9) but I'm still debating 2 things that I would appreciate some advice on:

2) What's the best route through the Wigan, Warrington area. By best I mean the least busy roads?

Rob

hi rob
I would have two routes for dartmoor 1 over if its good weather and your feeling fit (should be the time you reach dartmoor).:whistle: 2 a bail out route should the weather be naff as it can be very bleak upon the moor ..... as for wigan and wrrington we went that way in 2005 but mind is blank but my mate will poss remember he is from Horsham ^_^ you may know him Jim Evans .... on the far left
IMG_3277.JPG

Kato

Not a cyclist myself, but live near Dartmoor, and have many friends who cycle the Dartmoor Classic every year - and it is tough! I run up there sometimes, and it is tough going - but splendid scenery. If the weather is good, not something to be missed. Just my twopenworth.
Kate

albal

Guru
Round Dartmoor to the north i think i went, not too bad at all, Wigan ? Just get on the old A6 as soon as, cycle lane there now. From Leigh, head to Westhoughton, and onto A6, Chorley rd. Good luck.

CafGriff

What about this route ? Answers on a postcard - Ha!! Or just be critical and edcational my darlings, I'm still trying to re jig ... Or should that Re - JoG ?
Guys!! my potential route from South to North, could someone just say 'Yeh' !! or 'Bloody 'ell caf, what you doin''??!! starting at Lands End I have a fellow cyclist and a support driver, so bags and tent equipment will be being carried - Yeah!!
(I'm more or less following CTC E2e - YHAroute UK14.doc version dated 23.04/2010 )

> Via Newquay up the A30 - over to Okhampton ( staying at the YHA at Klondyke Road )
> Okkie to Bridgewater or Cheddar ( or Street following the B3181 picking up the NCN route 3 ) there is a YHA South of the town?
> Cheddar through The Strawberry Line - to Yatton and NCN route 26 on to Nailsea nr Bristol where I shall stay over night with family.
> make my way to Chepstow B3130 ( Avon Cycleway NCN 41 via PIll and crossing the M5 Avon Bridge. 2 x NCN routes 10 and 41 to 'old' Severn Bridge with minor routes B4057 and B4055.
> I'd like to touch The Wye Valley and Tinturn Abbey up Welsh Bicknor and the YHA on the hill.
> Welsh Bicknor to Clun - staying if not under a tent then a YHA or B & B.
> Clun to Chester Backpackers ... or even Warrington - I have a friend I can stay the night with.
> Chester or Warrington to Preston - then possibly meeting a fellow CTC member to take me to Pulton - le - Fylde to stay for 2 days with family.
> Poulton to Slaidburn ( could do with some guideance here Chaps)? Or Alternate route
> Need to get to Carlisle to go on to Lanark via NCN 74 - there is a SYHA in Lanark through The Lake
> New Lanark to Stirling - Staying at Stirling SYHA
> Stirling to Glencoe - via main roads , this would lead me away from Glasgow. I would like to head west to The Isle of Arron - Oban - Glen Nevis - Loch Ness ( staying at SYHA Loch Ness.)
> From Loch Ness to Carbisdale Castle - staying at the SYHA there
. Then the last milage to Tongue via Lairge
> and finally Tongue, Bettyhill - Tuhrso and John o Groats. ( phew !! )

What do you think??

I shall combine the YHA / B & B's and camp - if it's not to stupidly cold.
The weather may stop me and even if it does, anywhere on route, I shall put a X on the map and retrace next year, when I have more time - and probably more money by then!!
I am a huge sponge my darlings - eager for your wisdom.

db7db7

Rob

Onmy LEJOG last Aug, i went through Warrington etc on the main road - wasn't that bad really - just boring and less scenic than everywhere else. If you can't find anything else, you'll be fine.

snorri

Legendary Member
Carbisdale Castle is closed and unlikely to reopen.

Just to confirm what furball said and tell you of a nearby alternative........ http://www.invershin.com/
I cannot vouch for the quality of the accommodation only having had the odd pint in the pub there, but their bunkhouse is quite new so I would hope it would be ok.

Should you decide to stay at the Invershin Hotel, I would suggest you make your way first to Bonar Bridge and carry on towards Lairg on the A836, keeping the Kyles of Sutherland on your left. You could go up the other side of the Kyles, but the road is not conducive to faster cycling and you would have to carry your bike down a steep flight of stairs as you cross on the railway bridge at Invershin.

Are you sure about this bit?
"Stirling to Glencoe - via main roads , this would lead me away from Glasgow. I would like to head west to The Isle of Arron - Oban - Glen Nevis - Loch Ness ( staying at SYHA Loch Ness.)"
It would seem odd to go north as far as Stirling then south to Isle of Arran ?? Then through Glencoe and turn south to Oban??

If indeed you plan to go to Stirling, I would suggest heading for Fife then to Perth and on to the cycle route to Inverness, parallel to the A9, on cycle paths and quiet roads, but at no point on the A9.

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
only my opinion - i found finding the cycle path at pill very hard ( down a silly alley way that i passed about 4 times ) and the docks make you think you have gone very wrong but soon as you get over the bridge it gets better every mile . didnt like warrington as i am not a busy road cyclist and i think i hit it at the wrong time - but that doesnt last that long , we went kilmarnock then the ferry to arran and from the ferry till jog i thought it was brilliant - though on arran dont try and get the next ferry off as it means bombing along and missing the scenery - i just managed it but had to wait as my mate was a bit later and arran has a surprise hill near the end - i still have my route somewhere if you want it - or it may still be on here somewhere - only things i would change if possible - we booked places in the main towns where we should have thought of ways to skirt them if possible

CafGriff

only my opinion - i found finding the cycle path at pill very hard ( down a silly alley way that i passed about 4 times ) and the docks make you think you have gone very wrong but soon as you get over the bridge it gets better every mile . didnt like warrington as i am not a busy road cyclist and i think i hit it at the wrong time - but that doesnt last that long , we went kilmarnock then the ferry to arran and from the ferry till jog i thought it was brilliant - though on arran dont try and get the next ferry off as it means bombing along and missing the scenery - i just managed it but had to wait as my mate was a bit later and arran has a surprise hill near the end - i still have my route somewhere if you want it - or it may still be on here somewhere - only things i would change if possible - we booked places in the main towns where we should have thought of ways to skirt them if possible
Hello!!

Top Bottom