JOGLE May 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CafGriff

Ha!! sorry ! pressed the wrong button there. :laugh: Your lovely off of your old route would be most welcome. I have swopped / changed / sweated over and nightmared my way around maps and suggested routes since November! I'm not necessarily after THe Best route, I am after a route to get to A - through to B - C and eventually JoG !!
My real problem is - I work, so I have limited time and monies, so do every on!! ha!! I'm still buying the Lotto ticket. Come join me on route if you are able?!:eek:
My kick off form LE is March 8th and I'm on FB ... I have a virgin giveagift page if you want to check it out.
I would obviously prefer to cycle an exta 5 miles to save my legs on a 1000 ft climb, if you know what I mean.
:blush: :bicycle:

CafGriff

Just to confirm what furball said and tell you of a nearby alternative........ http://www.invershin.com/
I cannot vouch for the quality of the accommodation only having had the odd pint in the pub there, but their bunkhouse is quite new so I would hope it would be ok.

Should you decide to stay at the Invershin Hotel, I would suggest you make your way first to Bonar Bridge and carry on towards Lairg on the A836, keeping the Kyles of Sutherland on your left. You could go up the other side of the Kyles, but the road is not conducive to faster cycling and you would have to carry your bike down a steep flight of stairs as you cross on the railway bridge at Invershin.

Are you sure about this bit?
"Stirling to Glencoe - via main roads , this would lead me away from Glasgow. I would like to head west to The Isle of Arron - Oban - Glen Nevis - Loch Ness ( staying at SYHA Loch Ness.)"
It would seem odd to go north as far as Stirling then south to Isle of Arran ?? Then through Glencoe and turn south to Oban??

If indeed you plan to go to Stirling, I would suggest heading for Fife then to Perth and on to the cycle route to Inverness, parallel to the A9, on cycle paths and quiet roads, but at no point on the A9.
Hi there!! .. No I'm not sure about the Stirling to Glencoe route!! I've never done the Scottish legs before and since Nov I have 'stewed' over routes and maps and must admit I'm I'm well and truely pickled and ready to be served up on the cheese plate :wacko: I am confident about the southern routes, I have family at Bristol - nailsea and a sis at Poulton - Le - Fylde so over night stays here are a must. As I get into the higher northern eshchelons, I must abmit, I'm detting a bit mushy!!! :eek:

CafGriff

Onmy LEJOG last Aug, i went through Warrington etc on the main road - wasn't that bad really - just boring and less scenic than everywhere else. If you can't find anything else, you'll be fine.
Thanks for suggstion, I need to get to Poulton - le - Fylde though, so would you think Warrington to far East across country, or is it on route? I was aiming to skirt, glance Preston.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Ha!! sorry ! pressed the wrong button there. :laugh: Your lovely off of your old route would be most welcome. I have swopped / changed / sweated over and nightmared my way around maps and suggested routes since November! I'm not necessarily after THe Best route, I am after a route to get to A - through to B - C and eventually JoG !!
My real problem is - I work, so I have limited time and monies, so do every on!! ha!! I'm still buying the Lotto ticket. Come join me on route if you are able?!:eek:
My kick off form LE is March 8th and I'm on FB ... I have a virgin giveagift page if you want to check it out.
I would obviously prefer to cycle an exta 5 miles to save my legs on a 1000 ft climb, if you know what I mean.
:blush: :bicycle:
there you go - let me know if i have done it right - it wasnt a bad route -hardest day was cornwall by far - biggest hills shap - not ultra steep but long, drumnadrochit not long but steep after an easy day and the last day there is some stinkers but if your gone that far you aint gonna let a hill stop you from finishing :thumbsup:
wish i could join you but wrong side of country let us know how it all goes - i think these are my actual routes with wrong turns so need to be modified a bit also there must be better ways round the bigger towns as we just aimed for them but even if you go through the towns - you aint there long and its nice to have that " and relax " feeling when its done

Attachments

• chepstow.gpx
    239.7 KB · Views: 91
  • dingwall.gpx
    253.5 KB · Views: 140
  • john.gpx
    180.5 KB · Views: 141
  • kilmarnock.gpx
    157.9 KB · Views: 83
  • longtown.gpx
    183.4 KB · Views: 120
  • oban.gpx
    183 KB · Views: 114
  • okehampton.gpx
    230.4 KB · Views: 135
  • preston.gpx
    222.9 KB · Views: 122
  • shrewsbury.gpx
    187.2 KB · Views: 149
Have you checked that the hostels you plan using are open in March? They are not all open all year round and those that close during the winter or do the rent a hostel thing tend to reopen just before Easter. I don't think New Lanark is open until April. Presumably you know JOG hostel is closed?

I've just checked, New Lanark isn't open until 11th April and Loch Ness isn't available until 28th March

Last edited:

CafGriff

Just to confirm what furball said and tell you of a nearby alternative........ http://www.invershin.com/
I cannot vouch for the quality of the accommodation only having had the odd pint in the pub there, but their bunkhouse is quite new so I would hope it would be ok.

Should you decide to stay at the Invershin Hotel, I would suggest you make your way first to Bonar Bridge and carry on towards Lairg on the A836, keeping the Kyles of Sutherland on your left. You could go up the other side of the Kyles, but the road is not conducive to faster cycling and you would have to carry your bike down a steep flight of stairs as you cross on the railway bridge at Invershin.
Hi Snorri. ;)
No my route from the early post has changed; I have a week to go, and I'l still dithering :eek:
I was going to stay with family on the way to North, vearing off to Nailsea nr bristol and Poulton - le - Flyde nr Preston. But now I'm not :blink:
I'm heading straight through ... and I may get together with mattfen and discuss completely different route ... via Ireland:laugh: - Joke!!:eek:

Are you sure about this bit?
"Stirling to Glencoe - via main roads , this would lead me away from Glasgow. I would like to head west to The Isle of Arron - Oban - Glen Nevis - Loch Ness ( staying at SYHA Loch Ness.)"
It would seem odd to go north as far as Stirling then south to Isle of Arran ?? Then through Glencoe and turn south to Oban??

If indeed you plan to go to Stirling, I would suggest heading for Fife then to Perth and on to the cycle route to Inverness, parallel to the A9, on cycle paths and quiet roads, but at no point on the A9.

glasswalker

Regular
Thanks for suggstion, I need to get to Poulton - le - Fylde though, so would you think Warrington to far East across country, or is it on route? I was aiming to skirt, glance Preston.

Just checking have you got to go before May only I want to do it in July and I also have Poulton Le Fylde on my stopping list and need some one to travel with only unable to find anyone so far

Top Bottom