JOGLE May/June over 10 Days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rocky6gf

Regular
I am also doing Jogle, unsupported, via Aaron from the 7th June over 13 days. Am staying at B&B's. As usual, I don't think I have done enough training, got loads of luggage and can't decide whether to spend £400 on a garmin. Any advice would be appreciated.

spen666

Legendary Member
I am also doing Jogle, unsupported, via Aaron from the 7th June over 13 days. Am staying at B&B's. As usual, I don't think I have done enough training, got loads of luggage and can't decide whether to spend £400 on a garmin. Any advice would be appreciated.

1. I would recommend a Garmin, it beats having to carry loads of maps. I used one when I did my LeJoG
2. Re Luggage: -
a) Ditch your bag(s) and get a smaller one. Throw away all but essential luggage. EG - Do you need to take shoes? Wear your cycling shoes if you go out on an evening (only works if using shoes with recessed cleats).
b) Do you need to take towel / toiletries - these will be provided at B&B
c) underwear / t shirts - will rarely wear them for more than a couple of house rest on a night - so take 1 or 2 and if you need more, go to primark etc in towns on the way - effectively disposable clothing
d) spares etc? You will never be that far from a town/ civilisation, so do you need to carry lots of spares

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Get a garmin Etrex20. It costs much less than £400. I used it in anger on the Avenue Verte last week and it really cxame into its own when navigating though Paris and its environs. Elsewhere on the route it merely served to confirm that the route markers were pointing in the right direction.

If you are staying at B&Bs there's no reason to have a load of luggage.

Rob Page

hi dan,

sounds like your in the same boat as me! I started planning the Jogle with 3 friends, and one by one they all dropped out! So basically im doing the same as you and doing it solo having never done anything like it before and only started cycling properly about 6 weeks ago! im starting from john o groats on the 24th though and aiming to take 9 days, I travel up on the 23rd, stay at the seaview that night then hoping to be up and started by 7 on the 24th.

I was also debating whether to buy a sat nav but no way im spending hundreds of pounds on way, I bought a small map the other day and im going to mark the route on there and that'll do, far cheaper but no doubt I will get lost at some point!
I bought a Garmin Edge Touring for my JOGLE next week and I will just sell it afterwards on ebay and probably get 75% back..............job done..!!

jay clock

Massive member
agreed about reducing clothes. Wear one set, put on the next day's cycling kit once you have your evening shower, and just have the basic level of off bike kit. SHoes (even so called light ones) weigh a ton. Best option is Crocs or fake crocs. Once you get over the fashion crime

Top Bottom