JOGLE - Sept 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
[QUOTE 3054478, member: 30090"]Option C

I save some cheddar over a couple of months to cover my own expenses.

LEJOG for me cost around £500, and this was a credit card tour ffs, wild camping in a field would have saved me about £280.[/QUOTE]

I've lived in poor areas where people cannot realistically save £500, or even £280. You may not have experience of such places, so perhaps it's hard for you to imagine. Try living in a former mining town in Yorkshire for a while and then come back to me.

People in such a situation could raise money for charity though - and if raising that money means spending some too then it's still money raised, isn't it?

KneesUp

Guru
[QUOTE 3054623, member: 30090"]I would not live in a former mining town in Yorkshire.[/QUOTE]

Not many of the people that do chose to ...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
How do you get along with the often seen statement 'All profits go to charity' :smile:

Perfectly fine as that usually applies to the sale of goods whose price exceeds the cost of production. I get something in return for my money and charity get the profit.

There is no product in a sponsored bike ride and the participants slicing out expenses profit from my money.

KneesUp

Guru
Perfectly fine as that usually applies to the sale of goods whose price exceeds the cost of production. I get something in return for my money and charity get the profit.

There is no product in a sponsored bike ride and the participants slicing out expenses profit from my money.

I always take the statement 'All profits go to charity' to mean 'the money that's left after we've paid the admin team and paid for the lunches and the office space and the admin fee and the wages and the bonuses' - maybe that's just me?

You are being very self-centered in this. Would you object less if, for example, you colleague had spend £8000 on expenses to do something that he knew he would find really unpleasant? (Incidentally I would agree that any equipment bought from sponsorship money that has a residual value should be sold and the money given, so if for example someone wanted to do a sponsored ride and used the money to buy the bike, they should probably sell it at the end and give the money raised)

If the end result of people paying expenses out of money raised is that the charity gets more money that it would otherwise do, that, surely, is all that matters, though?

There are hundred of thousands of long-term unemployed people in this country. Wouldn't it be great if they all did a sponsored bike ride and got a few nights in a Travel Lodge out of it? Charities would make millions of pounds they wouldn't otherwise have got, and the participants would get to see something other than their own neighbourhood for a change.

snorri

Legendary Member
If the end result of people paying expenses out of money raised is that the charity gets more money that it would otherwise do, that, surely, is all that matters, though?.
Keeping rights and wrongs out of it, the problem will be the difficulty in finding sponsors who will be happy to finance your holiday in the knowledge that only a small proportion of their donation is likely to reach the charity.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a really nice site in Benderloch called Tralee Bay Holidays. If you are going to passing through Benderloch when they are not likely to be booked up, they might be willing to let you use one of their luxury caravans for the night if you tell them that you are raising money for charity, and especially if you tell them that you will mention them as sponsors on Facebook, Twitter etc.

Top Bottom