JOGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kato

Hi all you cyclists. Am planning a run this autumn - JOGLE - unsupported. Looking for all and any advice, and it was suggested that you guys might have more information to offer, as it is more often cycled than run! Any info re off road routes and trails would be good, plus any accommodation hints - am planning to B+B as am too much of a wuss to camp - I want a hot shower and bed for my weary 57 year old bones every night!
All your experience would be helpful - thank you.
Kate

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Kate and :welcome:.

Quite unusual to get running requests on a cycle forum but I'm sure the regulars on here can rise to the challenge. Do you have a rough idea of what route you intend to take?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kato

Hi Phil,
Thanks so much for your welcome! Route wise, I think the first bit looks pretty standard as fr as Inverness, then I plan to run along Loch Lomond to Fort William, down to Oban, then Carlisle, find a route through the Lakes, (have been put off the Pennines as it is apparently very easy to get lost there?!) and then down to the Welsh borders. Would love to run part of Offa's Dyke, but need to look into the practicality of this! From Bristol down to N.Devon, I have been told that much of the route can be done on canal paths, and from there I am on home territory as I live in Torquay. I will be staying well away from the main roads down here. Apart from the sheer difficulty of running the miles each day, I am guessing that portering my gear all the time is going to be one issue, as well as always finding somewhere to stay...so any advice about potential bag drops, and accommodation would be great - and any trails and good minor road routes. Thanks again. And btw I often get really friendly waves and nods from cyclists around here when I am out on my long runs - thank you to all of them, they are much appreciated and enjoyed!
Kate

you may find your best friend is the post office (send it to yourself to collect from various post offices... post restante is the term).
Also consider sites such as warmshowers.org and couchsurfers who offer free accommodation/showers/meals etc. My husband and I are on warmshowers.org same username and would happily put you up, or just take a package for you to collect at some point.

Also there is an off-road JOGLE/LEJOG route which may be of value to you... (unless you actually want to run roads all the way).
http://www.ctc.org.uk/article/cycling-guide/off-road-end-to-end

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Offa's Dyke runs through my part of the world but I regret I haven't walked it and don't know much about it apart from it being the most popular long-distance trail in the area. A quick search threw up the National Trails website which might help as has news about the route.

A route that I do know sections of and which might be of use to you is the National Cycle Route 45 (known as the Mercian Way for the northern section) which runs from Chester to Salisbury on a mix of bridleway, quieter roads and canal towpath. It's well signposted, making navigation easy and the bits that I I'm familiar with are mostly well surfaced (there are a few niggly rough or muddy bits). The only issue is that like a lot of the national cycle network it doesn't take you the most direct way.

I hope that'll help for starters.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

Kato

Thank you SatNavSays StraightOn - I will definitely look at those suggestions. I am keen to run as little road as possible, in fact. Thank you so much for your offer of help too - much appreciated.
And Phil, thanks again for the further advice - I have seen the National Trails website about the route, but will take another look. The National Cycle Route is a great idea - will definitely look at those. Am allowing myself 1000 miles rather than the the shortest distance, so a little less direct will be fine - as long at its not way off route. Thanks again - you guys have already come up with more help than my running forum!!!
Kate

OP
OP
K

Kato

This is true - and have no plans to be carrying a fridge either, like that other nutter! I have been turned away from some B+Bs as a muddy walker in the past, so a list like this will be really helpful.Have found myself trekking inland to find somewhere that will take me, which at the end of a long day's walk on the coast path is not good. Thank you.
As for cycling instead of running...much more like hard work, I will stick to running, and an easier life, especially in this awful weather - I don't know how you keep going in all this wind and rain!

OP
OP
K

Kato

.....by the other nutter, I nean someone even crazier than myself, of course...how on earth did he manage it?...

Top Bottom