John Le Carre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Indeed. Don't think I've ever read a poor book by him. Love the way he found ways to keep his style of thriller alive after the cold war ended.

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
One of my favourite scenes in one of his books (I can't remember which) was when Smiley and a member of the establishment are talking about someone being a spy, the establishment member says something like "you can't say that about him, he's a good egg, does lots for charity, been to Eton, Oxford, plays golf, does voluntary work. In my world that means he's a good sort!"
Smiley says "and in my world they call that cover".
Brilliant.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
His real name was David Cornwell and he lived opposite my neighbour's late father in St. Buryan in Cornwall.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
John Le Carre loved prunes which is why we all recited, "Tinker- Tailor Soldier-Sailor, Rich man-Poor man, Beggar man- thief, engine driver- Indian chief " at school after finishing seconds of rice pudding with prunes- most stones won. :whistle:

Rocky

Hello decadence
My favourite author. I loved George Smiley - a flawed but decent man. I feel sad I won't again get to read a new Le Carre novel.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I must be the odd one out. I tried 2 of his books but gave up, just couldn't get into them.
Maybe I should try again.
Which is the "easiest" most interesting one to try ?

I must be the odd one out. I tried 2 of his books but gave up, just couldn't get into them.
Maybe I should try again.
Which is the "easiest" most interesting one to try ?
I think he's an excellent and humane writer, but agree that he can be difficult - which makes it all the more remarkable/interesting that he was looked down on by a fair few folk for quite a while.
I don't think I ever really fully understood Tinker Tailor - book or film - must have a too innocent mind - I'd be a crap spy.

My favourite author. I loved George Smiley - a flawed but decent man. I feel sad I won't again get to read a new Le Carre novel.
I understand your pain. I enjoyed his books (the ones I’ve read) a great deal.

But could I suggest an alternative? Slightly different genré but equally enthralling is Philip Kerr’s series following a German police officer before, during and after the 2nd WW.

IMO, Bernie Gunther is the best character in contempory literature at present.

http://philipkerr.org/hello-from-philips-wife-jane/

The recent film of Tinker .... was fantastic.
I read the book shortly before, and it's no page-turner but I did find it enthralling. Faster paced than the first Dragon Tattoo book!
(Must find the time to watch the TV version some day.)

I read one of his modern era and it was poor - nothing of note seemed to happen, and it took a long time over it.

William Boyd is a big fan - I loved his spy novel. A slightly pacier read.

For fans around during the day Sky Arts, Freeview 11, is showing Melvyn Braggs reprise/potted highlights south bank show interview with Le Carre at 3pm today.

Top Bottom