John Mayall. Never inducted, why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I hadn’t realised until I stumbled across a video on YouTube that John is now 88 years old and about to make his final appearance in California.
He seems to have been around forever and I remember taking trips, usually down to The Marquee to listen to him when I was much younger. It was always interesting as his band was constantly changing with many now household names passing through.
The maker of the videos was wondering why he had never been inducted into the Rock n roll hall of fame given the influence he has had over many years. Maybe it’s because he is blues artist? I don’t know but it does seem a serious omission. What do you think?

View: https://youtu.be/QolgTRdo_dU

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame, along with the Grammy's is a joke.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
One of the greatest blues legends of all time in my humble opinion. He played with Alexis Korner and many other legendary British blues legends. I have seen him a few times. A musician's musician very much.

GM

Legendary Member
I hadn’t realised until I stumbled across a video on YouTube that John is now 88 years old and about to make his final appearance in California.
He seems to have been around forever and I remember taking trips, usually down to The Marquee to listen to him when I was much younger. It was always interesting as his band was constantly changing with many now household names passing through.
The maker of the videos was wondering why he had never been inducted into the Rock n roll hall of fame given the influence he has had over many years. Maybe it’s because he is blues artist? I don’t know but it does seem a serious omission. What do you think?

View: https://youtu.be/QolgTRdo_dU

I'm surprised we haven't cross paths. I remember seeing JM at the Marquee must have been 1965/6 with Eric Clapton. Saw him again at Shepherds Bush Empire with Buddy Whittington on guitar.
Definitely should be Hall of framed.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Saw John Mayall on several occasions d.comon the late 1960s to the early 2000s.
Always a good show.
One of the best was when he supported B B King. He came on stage solo with just a keyboard and gave an astonishing performance.

DRM

Guru
The main stream media would not know good music if it smacked um in the ears .
I think you’ve hit the nail squarely on the head there

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ive been told that the the Rock n' Roll HoF stuff is heavily biased towards the people that created or run it (Jon Landau and Jann Wenner???)

Thats why a lot of great bands/artists get ignored or overlooked.

-- This is what i hear however. Ive never followed the HoF malarkey that deeply. Music is very subjective.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
To put it into context. Queen and Freddie Mercury never won a single Grammy.
And I doubt anyone would suggest Mercury wasn’t a great performer and even if you hate their songs they have a back catalogue as good as any band.

as fan of Queen - They have a lot of songs that are very overlooked.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Obviously he’ll never be inducted so at least he should receive a gong for his services to music. Surprised his fans haven’t pushed for this.

Top Bottom