Johnny Ball

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He visited daughters School for a day
Can't remember if it was Junior, or Senior, but we do have a couple of book (from the day) signed by him

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My children used to watch him. Can't remember which programme he was on though. It could have been Play Away.

subaqua

What’s the point
Think of a number

Don’t think it , do it

All sorts of maths science stuff in the 80s .

Did playschool in the 70s

Seems to be one of the ones least likely for yewtree but who knows

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Love his infectious enthusiasm. Heard him on the radio a couple of years ago encouraging kids to go to university and study engineering & maths rather than the social sciences. He argued that a graduate engineer stands upon a plinth of universal facts that never change. The Roman engineer that built bridges and aquaducts would understand the principles of the Apollo moon missions for example. The social sciences are built upon opinion though, that changes with the morality of the day.

subaqua

What’s the point
Love his infectious enthusiasm. Heard him on the radio a couple of years ago encouraging kids to go to university and study engineering & maths rather than the social sciences. He argued that a graduate engineer stands upon a plinth of universal facts that never change. The Roman engineer that built bridges and aquaducts would understand the principles of the Apollo moon missions for example. The social sciences are built upon opinion though, that changes with the morality of the day.

This is what I try to get my Graduate students to grasp . The principles are the same , it’s just a different application .

D

Deleted member 26715

I read the title & my heart sank, I thought this was a RIP thread, glad it's not, I don't remember him on Playschool but definitely on Think of a Number & wasn't there anther one, a bit more sciency?

gaijintendo

Veteran
I went on a School trip to see Johnny Ball's live version of Think of a Number. We had to go on a bus and we all got to dress casually (which is unusual, because a school uniform would surely have been easier to corale).

APOLOGIES FOR WHAT FOLLOWS:

On the bus back, me and a couple of friends spotted a lady with sizeable breasts. We were too young to truly be lecherous it was more a statement of fact, but nonetheless it inspired my friend to comment, fairly loudly "look at the size of those" to a moment of giggles...

But in our periphery, we spotted the P.E. teacher's wife approaching... so we suppressed our amusement. But not a beat had passed before she said "Oh! Have you seen mine?!" and lifted her pullover.
..revealing a Garfield t-shirt, very similar to the one my friend was wearing.

..covering her gigantic Bristols.

Last edited:
Top Bottom