Joining a gym?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Tetedelacourse said:
Anyway if you've joined, good stuff, let me know how it goes! :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice :ohmy: - I'm just about to cycle over to be induced.

My biggest worry is getting bored of it and wasting the money. I can only see how it goes though and being a tight git I'm sure I'll try and get my moneys worth :blush:

I'm not too worried about instructors and courses - I've seen what I want to do there and it's not too hard to work out for myself a routine on the various machines. The sauna and pool is a big draw for me.

I agree to a certain extent with what Tet said, I would just add this:
if swimming and the sauna are the main reasons for joining the gym, that's fine. Swimming will (if you stick at it) improve your stamina and supplety, and boost your breathing capacity.
Assuming cycling is your main activity/means of exercise, then avoid lifting heavy weights which will just bulken you up, given you a shape that some might want on a beach, but looks, to be honest, a bit silly!
I would suggest, as I have done several times here, that skipping twice a day for 5 minutes each time, and a session with a Swiss ball will give you the shape, definition and strength without getting larger.

And then you can enjoy a cold beer or more in the sauna. ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Personally I think that gyms are a waste of money for most people and they tend to make their money by locking people into contracts that they don't want or need. If you try and leave then they will fight tooth and nail to get more money out of you.

To be avoided at all costs.

40 x 12 = £480 = a decent set of wheels or a new groupset.

If you want to go swimming then just turn up at your local pool and swim for £2 when you want to.

domtyler

Über Member
Dayvo said:
The price seems very reasonable, if indeed it is a payment per month, regardless of how often you use the gym.
Ask if there are any 'hidden' costs, i.e. usage at peak times, personal trainer, sharing facilities with the netball team etc.
Are you just looking for general gym usage to improve overall fitness or you after something more specific.
If the changing rooms, and the showers, in particular, are clean, then it could be money well spent, and if you maximise the equipment, then you should be well spent, too! :biggrin:

Wouldn't sharing the facilities with the netball team be seen as a bonus? ;)

toontra

Veteran
If the cycle trainers have wattage output then I'd say it's worth it. Doing power (i.e. wattage) interval training on one of these has revolutionised my training - speed and endurance both up, especially noticeable on hills. Before anyone starts banging on about "the only good training for cycling is cycling", I'd say a solid 1-hour interval session is the equivalent to 3-4 hours on the road, especially if you don't live in a hilly area, and it's a damn sight more comfortable on a wet, cold winters day also.

I also do general fixed weights so as my upper body doesn't wither away from neglect!

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I'm back - it was quite successful. I liked it :biggrin:

I didn't fall off the treadmill or capsize the rowing machine which were my main aims. I got a few nice compliments on my leotard too :biggrin:

Dayvo- I won't be doing heavy weights - I don't want to look like a bodybuilder :wacko:
I don't want to gain weight or lose weight - just be fitter and stronger.

Dom- I did the maths and yes it is a lot of money but from what I've seen I will be there quite often. Spending that money on bike kit will get me some nice kit but will only be good for cycling won't it? I could go to the local pool but haven't done that in over a year - I used to run but haven't done that for nearly two years I think. Getting value for money will be the best motivation for me. I ride past on the way to work so I've got no excuse not to go. I could have found a slightly cheaper place but it's out of the way and I'd be a lot less likely to drop in. Anyway - why am I trying to justify myself to you? ;)

Toontra - no wattage on the bikes. They've got programmes on the bikes which look like they might be interesting and they measure your heart rate for you. I haven't got a HRM for riding so will have a play with the machines and see what good comes of it.

Tetedelacourse

longers said:
I'm back - it was quite successful. I liked it :thumbsup:

I didn't fall off the treadmill or capsize the rowing machine which were my main aims. I got a few nice compliments on my leotard too :tongue:

Dayvo- I won't be doing heavy weights - I don't want to look like a bodybuilder xx(
I don't want to gain weight or lose weight - just be fitter and stronger.

Dom- I did the maths and yes it is a lot of money but from what I've seen I will be there quite often. Spending that money on bike kit will get me some nice kit but will only be good for cycling won't it? I could go to the local pool but haven't done that in over a year - I used to run but haven't done that for nearly two years I think. Getting value for money will be the best motivation for me. I ride past on the way to work so I've got no excuse not to go. I could have found a slightly cheaper place but it's out of the way and I'd be a lot less likely to drop in. Anyway - why am I trying to justify myself to you? ;)

Toontra - no wattage on the bikes. They've got programmes on the bikes which look like they might be interesting and they measure your heart rate for you. I haven't got a HRM for riding so will have a play with the machines and see what good comes of it.

Ah, did I mention that my own motivation for going grew less and less and was really the primary reason I ended up considering it a waste of money?!:blush::biggrin:

Good to hear it went well. Don't take any advice from Dayvo about saunas :smile:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I used to be a gym member (JJB) but when the prices started going up and the queues for the equipment started building (i.e. no extra facilities even though membership was increasing) I soon cancelled it. :blush:

I like the idea of being able to pop in and do what you want, but realistically I just don't have the time/motivation - after work I want to get home to see the kids before they go to bed, and then I'll settle down to watch a film or just chill out with the Wife... I don't want to be popping back out to go to the gym!

I have a feeling that your personal circumstances are somewhat different to mine though (you're allowed out at weekends for rides etc.!!) so it may be an excellent way to look at fit young tottie in tight clothing build up your stamina/strength. :blush::biggrin:

doyler78

I've been going to the gym for 6 years now so no boredom has set in here. Like everything they will be for some for not for others. I love going to the gym and I get a swimming pool, sauna & steam room all for £32.80 a month so can't beat that.

I use it mainly now for upper body work like someone else said because I don't like the skinny, cancer victim look, that the Rasmussen's of this world have (no chance of that at the min since I stuck on 9kg over the last year :biggrin:). I couldn't care less if it makes me slower on the bike. There are plenty of other things I can do to make me faster.

It does annoy me every year come Jan & Feb when all the new people join and you end up having to queue for everything but then I just switch to going early in the morning which can be busy too but not as bad.

Made the mistake of doing a full on leg weight programme then having to cycle 18 mile home. My legs hurt 1/2 a mile down the road. Lesson learnt. Now I don't bother with a leg programme now unless I am off the bike for some reason or in the dead of winter.

Willow

so just how do you get out of the contract you don't use (guilty!) - anyone want to buy LA Fitness membership merrow, guildford - it's transferable.

peanut

longers said:
I've never used one but there's a gym I pass twice a day on the way to work and on the way home today I popped in.

There's lots of things to do in there, it's nice and shiny and clean with a very nice pool, sauna and steam room and the staff seem very nice. I'm thinking of giving it a go but is it good value?

It's £39.50 a month and you must sign up for twelve months. I can get in there quite often, the idea of a swim before work a couple of days a week appeals and a couple of sessions after work on the equipment sounds feasible.

Is it a reasonable price? :smile:

How much do you pay?

sounds like a lot but its a fantastic bargain if you use the facilities enough.
Thats very cheap as prices go.
I joined my gym Christmas.
It was £56.00 for the first month including charge for the `Technogym' key which is a solid state `key' that is programmed on a PC with your exercise program.

You plug it in the equipment and it registered how you use it ,sets targets and calculates calories burned etc brilliant.

Its warm and dry with no wind (except farts) and its a brilliant way to get fit, lose weight and keep toned.

You'll feel a little self concious first time in there but you soon feel like a regular. Don't forget to take a towel to wipe the sweat off you and the equipment every time. Also take a water bottle with your fav drink and an ipod
Give the spinning class a go too but be warned those girlies take some keeping up with

bonj2

hmmm... I joined a gym, but i left 'cos I didn't go enough, however although the one I was in I don't think you had sign a 12 month contract, although I was in for more than that anyway so i wouldn't know for sure.

Going swimming and then going in the steam room/sauna is nice.
The gym itself though isn't really that great for me. For cardio, i do cycling, and to a certain extent squash. Cycling also provides lower body toning, so
don't really need the gym for that. For upper body toning, can just borrow my bro's free weights (they're better than machines anyway as they exercise all the little supporting muscles aswell as just the main ones so better for tone) and he knows how to use them anyway.

I left 'cos i only stayed a member 'cos I thought you had to be to be in the squash club, but then i found out you don't,so i left.

But swimming is definitely good exercise, and going in the steam room / sauna afterwards is definitely nice and relaxing, and you can chat to people.

yenrod

The problem with GYMs is that you have to leave your house THEN get there, THEN get changed THEN get the quipment set-up for you/fight off the other people THEN utilise the equipment THEN goto changing room THEN navigate your way home thats why they fail !

Exercise regimes are far more successfull if you start from the house you live in ;)

Chris James

Über Member
Willow said:
so just how do you get out of the contract you don't use (guilty!) - anyone want to buy LA Fitness membership merrow, guildford - it's transferable.

My wife got out of her contract with Total Fitness by cancelling her direct debit. When they wrote a threatening letter demaning she pay her contract up she wrote back detailing the occasions when she had complained about the changing rooms being filthy, the showers being cold and the stinkiness of the swimming pool! So she stated that they have failed to provide the level of service that they had promised and so she viewed them as having terminated the contract.

Patrick would probably say that is legally a load of cobblers but realistically they would never take you to court for such a small amount of money.

Top Bottom