Joining two chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
None whatsoever other than common sense - same-speed same-speed and new-new.

Tin Pot

Guru
I would say you are reducing its effectiveness.

A chain with two locks has two weak points, a thief has two chances to have the tools to overcome the security.

Assume you will have another lock as your second separate countermeasure..?

Reactions: mjr

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would say you are reducing its effectiveness.

A chain with two locks has two weak points, a thief has two chances to have the tools to overcome the security.

Assume you will have another lock as your second separate countermeasure..?
I have seen lots of broken chains, but none of them broke at the quick link. (Having said that, there are a lot more standard links in a chain so if the average reliability of quick links is somewhere close to but less than standard links then perhaps that isn't surprising.)

A mate of mine used to work in a bike shop. He never bought chains because he saved the odd bits of chain left over when new chains were shortened to fit customers' bikes and connected them together to make full-length chains!

Tin Pot

Guru
I have seen lots of broken chains, but none of them broke at the quick link. (Having said that, there are a lot more standard links in a chain so if the average reliability of quick links is somewhere close to but less than standard links then perhaps that isn't surprising.)

A mate of mine used to work in a bike shop. He never bought chains because he saved the odd bits of chain left over when new chains were shortened to fit customers' bikes and connected them together to make full-length chains!

I suppose a quick link would make it easier to unchain the bike from a bike rack.

<sigh>

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Ignoring the oily change points above. If the lock is better than the links, you might actually be improving the whole security.

freiston

Veteran
If the new chain length means that it rests close to or on the floor when in use, then it will make it easier for a thief to use bolt croppers. I've just noticed the toolbar above the 'reply' text field - there's an 'insert link' button (IBTL?) ;)

Top Bottom