Joking apart ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
157C590E-8C02-4628-90D2-DDC5754CCDFC.jpeg

I’ve posted this on other threads in a jovial way , but.... in real terms the BB30 and wheel hubs and bearings were submerged for around 45 mins due to the high tide and me watching the WC final on Sunday , so in real terms what if any would be the damage to the B.B. and bearings etc , it’s all dried out now , anything need special attention? Any recommendations
Cheers

ChrisEyles

Guru
Whoops! I had similar issues a year or so ago, after cycling through a few miles of really badly flooded lanes where the water came up well over the wheel hubs.

I cleaned out and re-packed the wheel hubs with grease in a when-I-get-around-to-it sort of way (easy to do for cup and cone bearings, no idea about cartridge or sealed units). No experience with press fit BBs I'm afraid, again I would regrease if cup and cone (and would only replace a cartridge UN55 style BB if it was feeling graunchy and/or making bad noises).

Kajjal

Guru
That’s one way to stop someone stealing your bike by submerging it !

It’s very hard to tell to be honest, sea water would be worse. All you can really do is take apart the bits you can to check for water ingress and if it seems OK go for a shortish ride starting off gently and then if OK increasing your effort. Most parts now tend to be replaceable rather than serviceable on modern bikes.

adamhearn

Veteran
Take it apart as soon as you can and thoroughly clean everything as sea water is pretty "corrosive". Ensure you specifically attend to wheel inners, spoke ends/nipples, hubs, quick release cams, pedal axles, BB, BB shell, both mechs and if there are any ingress points in any of the frame tubes, perhaps force some cleaner in and shake vigorously before emptying/drying out.

Probably want to ditch the front and rear gear cables (both inner and outer) and possibly the chain though you can always strip it and re-lube and see how it goes.

Lube/grease everything and put it back together. Assuming you've not left it to dry in a corner of a shed it should be fine.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
:eek: Crikey!
I'm a bit ocd when it comes to maintenance on the bike so my take may be a bit overkill for some but....
If it's not been washed since, take a hose or preferably jetwash to it and go mad. The salt won't be doing any good to bearings or hinges (think f&r mechs)
I'd strip, clean and regrease the hubs, botton bracket and possibly pedals. Unscrew, clean and regrease threads for the mechs.
I'd also remove tyres, tubes and rim tape and blast the hell out of the spoke nipples again with hose or jetwash.
The chain and cassette would also get a good soak in white spirit or something.

beaten to it by @adamhearn

Lonestar

Veteran
Make sure there is no corrosion between the pedal and crank....After my recent trick of pedal breaking off from crank (due to corrosion) down Stratford High Street in Dec 2016 I don't think I will ever forget.

I see @Vantage covered this point also.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the BB30 and wheel hubs and bearings were submerged for around 45 mins due to the high tide and me watching the WC final on Sunday , so in real terms what if any would be the damage to the B.B. and bearings etc , it’s all dried out now , anything need special attention? Any recommendations
The Thames at Richmond, iirc, is not salty.
Can't tell what sort of wheels and BB (^_^) the OP's bike has.
However you'll likely find that your hubs need a good drying out, servicing/regreasing, the rims will have water in them so off with the tyres and rim tape and dry them off in the sun, and the BB may have suffered water ingress so again, have it out, dry out the inside of BB shell and grease and refit. The chain and cassette just need cleaning as normal as will the QR levers. Others have mentioned a check of the cables (I wouldn't replace) and worth a clean and smear of grease on the cable guides under the bottom bracket (for bikes with normal external cabling - goodness knows what is going on with cables hidden inside the tubes with water in them).
When deciding whether to ride through a flood which will/may come above the wheel hubs (15") for any distance, it's worth considering just how much maintenance (or long term damage if you don't do it) keeping on the planned route implies. DAMHIKT. It's a great sense of achievement to cycle through deep water on a flooded road (without stopping) but it comes at a price: a few hours of maintenance and the bike off the road for the time it takes. I'll go the long way round next time.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I rode through a ford that deep..great fun but my BB siezed a few days later.
Wheels were fine.

You may be lucky you might not

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Is that for the cleaning regime or the original issue raleighnut?
Ozboz, your avatar text says you are in richmond. Was your submerge near its bridge?

I was at the White Cross pub , my Lad works there and I was watching the WC Final, , I think I’ll be taking it in to the lads at Noble Wheels Wandsworth , I do not want to Pratt about with theBB30 at all , it took me a long time to aquire such a nice bike , be a great shame to wreck it , that was my second outing since I changed the rear cassette to an 11-36 , derai’r etc the first outing I did a spoke , lucky son of a ‘ ain’t I !!!

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Make SURE the lads at noble wheels KNOW what you've done and what YOU WANT them to do about it.
Be specific and get it in writing before hand if possible.
If they're not sure about any of the bearings just being cleaned, have them renewed.
If the BB inserts are press fit get them removed and cleaned along with the inside of the frame or they may corrode in ruining the BB and possibly the frame as well.
Same with the wheels bearings and spokes.
Spending a little more now to get it put right will save you £'s in the long run.

As the river is tidal the water will be Brackish and silted.
Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Make SURE the lads at noble wheels KNOW what you've done and what YOU WANT them to do about it.
Be specific and get it in writing before hand if possible.
If they're not sure about any of the bearings just being cleaned, have them renewed.
If the BB inserts are press fit get them removed and cleaned along with the inside of the frame or they may corrode in ruining the BB and possibly the frame as well.
Same with the wheels bearings and spokes.
Spending a little more now to get it put right will save you £'s in the long run.

As the river is tidal the water will be Brackish and silted.
Better safe than sorry.

I’ve already spoke to them , they are more than qualified to do any work on bikes , I’ll prob get a few other bits and bobs done also ,

Top Bottom