Jorvik trike comments?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Since I am now confined to 3 wheels rather than 2 I have been looking at the adverts for Jorvik Mountain Trikes.
Anyone got any relevant experience?
I already have an Ice Adventure HD with 20" wheels all round but the rear mec is a bit near the ground for comfort on forest roads which I have access to.

Have you ever ridden an upright trike? They are a very different beast from a recumbent trike, you needed to be constantly shifting position to stop rolling over and I personally find it really hard work. I have a 700C road bike style trike (Ken Rogers Clubman) and you need to keep your wits about you on a moderately lumpy road to keep upright! My experience of a 20” Pashley Picador was even worse…

I have my Trice QNT on forest roads and rougher stuff occasionally and haven’t bent a rear mech yet. One trick is to use smaller cogs on the cassette with the smallest chainring… that does bring the lower jockey wheel on the rear mech a fair bit higher. If you want more off-road capability you could get a wheel built up with an Alfine 8 speed hub gear - you can still keep the triple chain set but use a short cage rear mech or a suitable chain tensioner instead. A final option might be to speak to ICE and see if you can buy a 26” rear end for your trike… you’ll need a 26” wheel to suit and extend the chain but not much else otherwise (apart from maybe smaller chainrings up front)

FWIW on the UK Adult Trikes FB group Jorvik do not have a good reputation for customer service, though I have seen them around. But I think you would find an Alfine a cheaper way of investigating 3 wheels offroad and a more satisfactory experience

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Have you ever ridden an upright trike? They are a very different beast from a recumbent trike, you needed to be constantly shifting position to stop rolling over and I personally find it really hard work. I have a 700C road bike style trike (Ken Rogers Clubman) and you need to keep your wits about you on a moderately lumpy road to keep upright! My experience of a 20” Pashley Picador was even worse…

I have my Trice QNT on forest roads and rougher stuff occasionally and haven’t bent a rear mech yet. One trick is to use smaller cogs on the cassette with the smallest chainring… that does bring the lower jockey wheel on the rear mech a fair bit higher. If you want more off-road capability you could get a wheel built up with an Alfine 8 speed hub gear - you can still keep the triple chain set but use a short cage rear mech or a suitable chain tensioner instead. A final option might be to speak to ICE and see if you can buy a 26” rear end for your trike… you’ll need a 26” wheel to suit and extend the chain but not much else otherwise (apart from maybe smaller chainrings up front)

FWIW on the UK Adult Trikes FB group Jorvik do not have a good reputation for customer service, though I have seen them around. But I think you would find an Alfine a cheaper way of investigating 3 wheels offroad and a more satisfactory experience

Thanks for that. I have never ridden an upright trike but am aware of handling differences in theory at least.
I have used a Bike Friday and a Brompton on forest roads with no problem but it is easier to pick a better line to avoid damage rather than with a trike I think and also for really bad bits I have got off and pushed for a hundred yards or so sometimes.
I agree that going to a hub gear is probably the best option for my trike although if going that route I could get a hub motor on the rear which has some advantages.

It's actually rare to catch the rear derailleur on a rock even with a 20" wheel.
You either need to ride with the back wheel right next to the rock or slip the back wheel sideways off one.
What's more common is the back wheel pushes grass stalks sideways down onto the chain, which then pulls the stalks back to the lower jockey wheel and the rear derailleur/cassette ends up full of grass mulch.

Trikes don't self-steer as you expect.
Lean right on a bike and the bike will try and turn right.
Lean right on a trike and the trike will try and turn left.
It took me a few years to learn this fact.
You can try this by riding hand off at low speed up a slight slope on an empty road.
If the trike starts to turn left left, then lean left to turn it back right and vice versa.
Recumbents are easy because the low CoG keeps this effect small.
Upwrong trike are more "fun" as the higher CoG amplifies this effect.

Luck ........ ^_^

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It's actually rare to catch the rear derailleur on a rock even with a 20" wheel.
You either need to ride with the back wheel right next to the rock or slip the back wheel sideways off one.
What's more common is the back wheel pushes grass stalks sideways down onto the chain, which then pulls the stalks back to the lower jockey wheel and the rear derailleur/cassette ends up full of grass mulch.

Trikes don't self-steer as you expect.
Lean right on a bike and the bike will try and turn right.
Lean right on a trike and the trike will try and turn left.
It took me a few years to learn this fact.
You can try this by riding hand off at low speed up a slight slope on an empty road.
If the trike starts to turn left left, then lean left to turn it back right and vice versa.
Recumbents are easy because the low CoG keeps this effect small.
Upwrong trike are more "fun" as the higher CoG amplifies this effect.

Luck ........ ^_^

I have just got a used mobility scooter which is configured like an upright trike and on my first try out terrified myself with the steering on a camber. The leaning bit is not instinctive to me so I have a bit of a learning curve.:ohmy:

I have just got a used mobility scooter which is configured like an upright trike and on my first try out terrified myself with the steering on a camber. The leaning bit is not instinctive to me so I have a bit of a learning curve.:ohmy:

On a bike you first lean into a corner, then steer just enough to keep your balance.
A trike is the opposite. You first need to steer into the corner, then lean just enough to keep your balance.
So on a camber, you want to feel that you're steering slightly up the slope, then lean a little to help your balance without loosing the feeling that you're steering up the slope.

Luck ............ ^_^

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
On a bike you first lean into a corner, then steer just enough to keep your balance.
A trike is the opposite. You first need to steer into the corner, then lean just enough to keep your balance.
So on a camber, you want to feel that you're steering slightly up the slope, then lean a little to help your balance without loosing the feeling that you're steering up the slope.

Luck ............ ^_^

Luck is something I need I think and the pavements in Oban where it would most likely be used are decidedly uneven. Difficult even to walk on safely for me anyway.:sad:

Yes, with an upright trike if it’s anything other than straight forward on glass smooth tarmac at walking pace you cannot just sit there like a sack of potatoes! 😁. Mind you, I’ve had my Ken Rogers cornering downhill at 20mph… fun, but definitely Type 2 fun! Have a look at the on3wheels forum for the gymnastics the racers get up to!

Top Bottom