Joseph Kuosac Handlebar for M type

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Has anyone swapped out the stock Brompton M bars ( pre 2017 ) for the Joseph Kuosac ones?
I've read elsewhere that they are more rigid than stock, and have a slight backwards sweep which some say they find more comfortable. They are also wider so they would need cutting down, but perhaps you could have them slightly wider than stock and still have them fold ok.

There's a local hill I really struggle on despite a 44 tooth front chainring. When I'm gasping my way up the last bit I can feel the bars flexing slightly.

Brocky49

Has anyone swapped out the stock Brompton M bars ( pre 2017 ) for the Joseph Kuosac ones?
I've read elsewhere that they are more rigid than stock, and have a slight backwards sweep which some say they find more comfortable. They are also wider so they would need cutting down, but perhaps you could have them slightly wider than stock and still have them fold ok.

There's a local hill I really struggle on despite a 44 tooth front chainring. When I'm gasping my way up the last bit I can feel the bars flexing slightly.

Yes, I have. I usually ride a road bike and the M was a bit too upright. I found that swapping between the two types of bikes a bit unnerving. I have reduced the width to about 520mm, partly because I ride the road bike on the hoods and also if you don't reduce the width, you may have a problem with cables in the fold position. FWIW, I also have the 44 tooth chainring, to cope with the lumps that surround the Somerset levels.

Kell

Veteran
I didn't, but I swapped mine out for a low riser with a slight sweep.

From memory of watching a video where he demonstrates his bars, I think they have an 11 degree backward sweep.

Brocky49

It doesn't add that much to the fold, in fact the Ergon GP1 grips are more significant.

See attached:-

Handlebar.JPG

madrian

Anyone fitted Joseph's full rise handlebar on pre 2017 "M" model? Someone said that will be too high, someone that it is a 1 in 1 replacement.

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
Anyone fitted Joseph's full rise handlebar on pre 2017 "M" model? Someone said that will be too high, someone that it is a 1 in 1 replacement.
Hi Just saw your post. I ended up fitting the full rise Joseph Kuosac replacement bars to my 2015 M
Straight swap, the handlebars are wider and I used a Plumbers pipe Slice to shorten them enough so the left hand side takes a 130mm Ergon grip ( just ). I left the right hand side slightly wider as that side doesn't affect the fold and you can't notice the slight assymetry.

madrian

Hi Just saw your post. I ended up fitting the full rise Joseph Kuosac replacement bars to my 2015 M
Straight swap, the handlebars are wider and I used a Plumbers pipe Slice to shorten them enough so the left hand side takes a 130mm Ergon grip ( just ). I left the right hand side slightly wider as that side doesn't affect the fold and you can't notice the slight assymetry.

Finally, the only answer on whole internet. I am searching for this information for a week now. Any chance for a photo in folded/unfolded status of your bike? :smile:

I am thinking on one more thing In case of full rise JK handlebar: what if I raise the bike with telescopic wheels (sure it adds 1-2-3cm to overall height instead of stock small wheels)? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000496104708.html maybe it needs even smaller cut from the end.

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
Finally, the only answer on whole internet. I am searching for this information for a week now. Any chance for a photo in folded/unfolded status of your bike? :smile:

I am thinking on one more thing In case of full rise JK handlebar: what if I raise the bike with telescopic wheels (sure it adds 1-2-3cm to overall height instead of stock small wheels)? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000496104708.html maybe it needs even smaller cut from the end.

Hahaha 😁 I fitted similar too, photos later today

Top Bottom