Jtek 8 speed shifter - poor performance? Is this normal? (Video)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drissa

Regular
I've waited forever to get my hands on one of these for a self-build with Nexus hub gears.

One finally arrived direct from the US (missing the shim, so I can't install properly) and I'm concerned about the action. I was expecting eight, positive positions (it's the 8 speed version), with solid 'clicks' but the movement is really grinding and doesn't seem to land in distinct positions apart from the two extremes. See video link.

Hearing how sensitive hub gears can be to cable adjustment, I can't see how this is going to give accurate shifting. Am I doing something wrong? Could other Jtek shifter users offer any advice? From what I've seen so far, this isn't really fit for purpose.

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tls4gue7wx9p12c/Video 05-02-2015 15 52 27.mov?dl=0

I had a bike with one fitted to the drops on an Alfine hub. Always had quite positive clicks between the gears with it and it basically just shoved onto the end of the bars like yours in conjunction with bar and electrical tape.

OP
OP
drissa

drissa

Regular
Looks like a faulty unit... Email the supplier with that video and see what they say, but it looks like a replacement job.

Thanks, I sent the video to Ryan and he suggested it would need some time to wear in. He also offered to send a shim. But the lack of obvious 'clicks' worries me...

Top Bottom