Judge wants us banned from dual carriageways!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Every morning on my commute I ride a single carriageway road with a NSL. Cars pass me at 60 mph. Sometimes more. Most of the time they do it nicely. Sometimes, not so much. I take secondary because, ime, it reduces the frequency of what I call 'squeeze passes'. By my riding secondary the drivers have a simple choice, pull out to overtake and cross the line in the center, or drive straight through me, or slow down. To date no one has taken the middle course.

Apply the same logic to a dual carriageway. Cars are maybe 10 - 20mph faster so take an even stronger secondary. Make them decide; run you down, or pull over to the right, or brake. The incident of the first is in the 'almost never happens' category. Squeeze passes when you hug the verge on a DC are 10 a penny.

But my bottom line; if I'm not comfortable riding in a good secondary on a given road I should not be cycling on that stretch of road.

So A24 through and south of Horsham and A23 south of Crawley and Handcross are off limits to me. As are parts of the A9.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Every morning on my commute I ride a single carriageway road with a NSL. Cars pass me at 60 mph. Sometimes more. Most of the time they do it nicely. Sometimes, not so much. I take secondary because, ime, it reduces the frequency of what I call 'squeeze passes'. By my riding secondary the drivers have a simple choice, pull out to overtake and cross the line in the center, or drive straight through me, or slow down. To date no one has taken the middle course.

Apply the same logic to a dual carriageway. Cars are maybe 10 - 20mph faster so take an even stronger secondary. Make them decide; run you down, or pull over to the right, or brake. The incident of the first is in the 'almost never happens' category. Squeeze passes when you hug the verge on a DC are 10 a penny.

But my bottom line; if I'm not comfortable riding in a good secondary on a given road I should not be cycling on that stretch of road.

So A24 through and south of Horsham and A23 south of Crawley and Handcross are off limits to me. As are parts of the A9.
This is more or less what I've been saying. It's about making the driver cross the line into the next lane (either into oncoming traffic on a single lane road or into the faster lane on dual carriageway). It makes them think which if you give them enough room to squeeze past you, they probably won't bother thinking.

Licramite

Über Member
"and how else am I going to get from London Wall to OId St?"

well if you look at most cycling magazines , bicycles can fly , maybe thats thye answer^_^

Top Bottom