Juicy 7 disc seizure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thegrumpybiker

Hi all, first post in a long time.
Got a problem with my disc brakes (Avid Juicy 7s, about 5 years old).
Basically, if I leave the bike without riding it for a reasonable period the calipers seem to seize up. Is this a problem anyone else has had? is it limited to Juicy7s, Avids or disc brakes in general?
The problem I've got now is that the wheels don't want to go back on, the caliper gap is too narrow. Tempted to use a screwdriver to force the piston open but got a feeling it'll end in tears.
Any help here would be appreciated, ta.

Waspie

Über Member
Can happen to all disk brakes if you leave the wheels off. I usually put a bit of card or similar between the pads to prevent this.

You're on the right lines with the screwdriver, however I would use something flatter like an old knife to gently force the pads apart. Once there is enough of a gap to get the wheels on the pads should revert to their proper position if you pump the brakes a few times.

Disclaimer : don't blame me if you knacker your brakes :blush: , the above is what I have done to fix this problem before, no idea if it's the 'textbook' answer.

OP
OP
thegrumpybiker

thegrumpybiker

Steve Austin said:
Juicy's are notorious for sticky pistons as well. you've done well to get a set to last 5 years. Time for an upgrade

Actually they've lasted that long through a criminal lack of use, it's been gathering dust for far too long. Time to rectify that.
Thanks for the advice, will let you know how I get on.

stevepratt48

You can get a service kit, from chainreactioncycles.com, which gives you new pistons & seals.
I've heard a lot of tosh about Avid'd being 'crap', I love them, never had any problems (4 years & counting). I do clean them, and spray WD40 (Pads out....) when there is a lot of crud/salt about.
Good luck

Top Bottom