Julien Absalon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Perhaps, though I didn't see many rigid steel bikes out there on race day....;)

single speed?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I dunno. Lots of tall folk prefer a 29-er. It is completely illogical to equip a bike aimed at someone who is 6' 2" with the same size wheels as someone who is 5' 0"

For top level mtb racing I am happy to believe an inch or so of difference in rim radius (amongst a gazillion other bike characteristics) can matter, but for the vast majority of riders I can't help but think the current en masse migration from 26" to 29ers makes rather more sense to the vendors than to the buyers. Regarding matching rider height / inseam / head circumference / whatever to wheel size proportionately, I think mtb rims are somewhat analogous to skis - shorter skis offer better control while longer skis are better for straight line speed (hence bmx/jump bike factory riders are still sticking to their little wheels). Except for skis they do come in vastly different lengths so difference can be truly significant and can easily be dialed in for everybody - but that is not the case for mtb rims; and if proportionate dimension is so important I wonder why aren't vendors bringing BB ground clearance, chain stay length or wheelbase up with their customers with the same fervour?

Cynic? Moi? :whistle:

VamP

Banned
For top level mtb racing I am happy to believe an inch or so of difference in rim radius (amongst a gazillion other bike characteristics) can matter, but for the vast majority of riders I can't help but think the current en masse migration from 26" to 29ers makes rather more sense to the vendors than to the buyers. Regarding matching rider height / inseam / head circumference / whatever to wheel size proportionately, I think mtb rims are somewhat analogous to skis - shorter skis offer better control while longer skis are better for straight line speed (hence bmx/jump bike factory riders are still sticking to their little wheels). Except for skis they do come in vastly different lengths so difference can be truly significant and can easily be dialed in for everybody - but that is not the case for mtb rims; and if proportionate dimension is so important I wonder why aren't vendors bringing BB ground clearance, chain stay length or wheelbase up with their customers with the same fervour?

Hah, you forgot rockers :thumbsup: but I largely agree with you.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Fair comment. Now remind me why 26" wheels are the empirical standard against which all other wheel types must be judged?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Fair comment. Now remind me why 26" wheels are the empirical standard against which all other wheel types must be judged?

I don't believe 26" is an "empirical standard" any more than wheel radius exactly 31.5mm larger has to be the way to go. It seems to me each has its intrinsic pros and cons but it is just not obvious to me the performance advantages of the latter are as one-sided or clear cut as the market movement seems to indicate. The thing that bothers me is that the market does not always work in the interest of the paying customers, that customer choices are vanishing overnight, and product obsolescence is the lifeblood of their supply chain.

I am certainly not smart enough to understand why some strange shade of red was apparently the "must have" ladies fashion last year, or why it is now tangerine!!

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

We know mtb design is a compromise, I do have some sympathy with the above comments in regards to manufacturers driving change.

Lest we forget the race was one in spite of full suss. not because of it. These guys are paid a lot of money to advertise their sponsors products. Looking at the spesh range they do have rather a lot of full suss bikes. :whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
We know mtb design is a compromise, I do have some sympathy with the above comments in regards to manufacturers driving change.

Lest we forget the race was one in spite of full suss. not because of it. These guys are paid a lot of money to advertise their sponsors products. Looking at the spesh range they do have rather a lot of full suss bikes. :whistle:
I can't agree. Even on the mtb pro world circuit, as in elite road racing circles, there are lots of examples of riders NOT using the equipment their sponsors want/instruct them to. If he thought riding a full boinger would jeopardise his chances of a medal he would not ride it, regardless of the wishes of his masters.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

I can't agree. Even on the mtb pro world circuit, as in elite road racing circles, there are lots of examples of riders NOT using the equipment their sponsors want/instruct them to. If he thought riding a full boinger would jeopardise his chances of a medal he would not ride it, regardless of the wishes of his masters.

There's equipment and equipment though Greg. I know form first hand experience it's not a good idea to upset your sponsors, not that I was ever in their league !

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There's equipment and equipment though Greg. I know form first hand experience it's not a good idea to upset your sponsors, not that I was ever in their league !
at our levels, which whatever they were I'm betting were not 'elite', sure what the sponsor says goes. At his? Different story.

Top Bottom