July 25th, London to Hastings: the Wen to Wen ride

Which ride most interests you?

• London to Hastings

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Tunbridge Wells to Hastings & back again (the Witch's Hat)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Two weeks away now. Here's a postcard to mark the event:

PC-front.jpg

To bump up the numbers I've included maybes and unlikelies; you never know. (I would've invited Chris Boardman but he already thinks I'm stalking him.) There's still room for more.

PC-back.gif

I had the postcard from a previous year's ride good to go until the Chamber of Commerce got all huffy

keepitweird.jpg

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Two weeks away now. Here's a postcard to mark the event:

View attachment 95742

To bump up the numbers I've included maybes and unlikelies; you never know. (I would've invited Chris Boardman but he already thinks I'm stalking him.) There's still room for more.

View attachment 95743

I had the postcard from a previous year's ride good to go until the Chamber of Commerce got all huffy

View attachment 95744
I seem to have been missed off the list of possibles.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I wonder if that's because you are famously impossible? Not to be confused with impossibly famous.
Or with Roger Penrose's triangle, which is the former but not the latter. It popped up when I googled the phrase.

Roger has a brother, Jonathan, who is a chess Grandmaster. "Playing Hastings for the first time in 1950/51, he beat the French champion Nicolas Rossolimo." I wasn't aware Hastings is the location of an annual chess conference, and that every World Champion before Garry Kasparov except Bobby Fischer played there.

chess.jpg

Not here, though this is also in Hastings. The great thing about this set is if you can't beat them at the game, you can beat them with it.

I seem to have been missed off the list of possibles.
Maybe because someone has reminded you that it is the Alpe d'Huez stage and you might prefer to watch that!
I do not think this will be the race-breaker that many people are expecting/hoping it to be - which is why I decided to put my name down for Hastings!

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I'm going to be writing about this for road.cc. If you'd rather not have any portion of your anatomy possibly appear in a picture, please PM me to let me know. Note that I'm not usually a full frontal guy anyway.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm going to be writing about this for road.cc. If you'd rather not have any portion of your anatomy possibly appear in a picture, please PM me to let me know. Note that I'm not usually a full frontal guy anyway.
Is this a thinly-veiled reference to Rich's famous centrefold appearance?

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
If I'd known about it, it would be.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Another call for anyone who might be interested in accompanying me on a recce, preferably before the 25th – though I am considering a post-ride recce for people who miss out on the official Wen to Wen. Full or partial monty. I'm making a particular appeal to @rich p, though remember that this is not meant to be another observance of the world naked bike ride. (Also note that I have no idea what @theclaud and @User are talking about.)

Main issue might be it's gotta be a weekday...

Hastings in the venue for the World crazy Golf Championships.
The reigning champion (it's always reigning in Hastings - either champions or seagull shite) is Chris Harding - a Third World Crazy. Golf. Champion for him.
15638167901_e5ab0343b2_c.jpg

This year's Championshit will be 24 - 25/10/2015 - in case anyone choosing to revisit can drag themselves away from the 'Spoons nearby...
1094-pub-page.jpg

Nice shiny pavements!

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Brilliant is a pale imitation of the word I would use to describe what I have just seen.

I assume, like Playboy, one got it for the articles.

Are subscriptions still available, or was it tossed off just the once?

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hold on - this is a Saturday, isn't it? I'd been under the misapprehension that it was the Sunday of that weekend. Did the start time ever get agreed? It's not in the OP. I could do with at least one long hilly ride before the Ride London the following weekend.

@rvw - you're out that day, I believe. Would it be terribly bad form to absent myself too?

Top Bottom