Jumping chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
I did a thorough clean of the mtb last week, including the chain which is still in fine fettle (only done a 1000km or so over winter).
But now I have an odd phenomenon - although the chain seems to be located perfectly on the rear sprockets and changes smoothe as you like, if I go over a sudden bump, the chain will jump to the next smaller sprocket. This only happens when the chains on the smaller 4 or 5 sprockets (of a 9-speed)
I've never had this before: tweaking the derailleur just makes the gear changes less good, the chain length is text book, so I'm rather stumped.

Any suggestions?

Happiness Stan

Screw the tension screw out to bring the jockey wheels closer to the cogs.

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
Thanks Stan.
Sadly I tried that and if I get the jockey wheel significantly closer to the small sprockets, it's too close on the big ones :sad:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
check for stiff links, is your derailleur bent tht can cause problems though it might just need a bit of tls and some oil, sticky cables - are they moving freely - can change these, new chain on old casette can cause this but it sounds not in your case - your chain could be worn though mine tend to last around 3000miles and i try and replace them to ensure long drivetrain life.

Funnily enough I've hed this problem this week, though I'm suspecting a worn casette - replaced this just need to do a test ride.

ps changing casette worked for me - it jumped a bit on the old chain but jumped a lot on the new. Now fine confirmed by test ride.

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
I'm going with the undetected stiff link at the moment - I usually check every link when the chain's hanging up drying after application of lube but I got distracted last week and put the chain back without checking. I'd forgotten this and, sod's law isn't it, that the one time you forget to do something, you get a problem :biggrin:

Top Bottom