Junk bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
IMG_0286.JPG

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
My son spent his pocket money on buying this beauty from his mate. Although it is not worth anything but a trip to the recycling centre I though it may be nice if we could fix it up together.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Good idea and a nice bonding/learning exercise to boot

FFS lose that saddle for a start :laugh:

Unfortunatly the saddle is the best bit.

Im a bit stumped on what to do with the gears. currently it has a strange 3x6 setup. with the 6 shifter is indexed and the 3 is a friction shifter and it is all in bad shape and was not very good when new. Is there something better but still budget friendly I can replace them with?

IMG_0285.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Unfortunatly the saddle is the best bit.

Im a bit stumped on what to do with the gears. currently it has a strange 3x6 setup. with the 6 shifter is indexed and the 3 is a friction shifter and it is all in bad shape and was not very good when new. Is there something better but still budget friendly I can replace them with?

View attachment 703426

Nothing wrong with those trigger shifters

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
As it has no "bull bars" on it anymore, you could always replace the shifters with Revoshifts (obviously, replacing the grips too).

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
the previous painted the bike black but it was not stripped every thing is just painted over i black inclusig all the bolt and screw head so I will have my work cut out.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
As it has no "bull bars" on it anymore, you could always replace the shifters with Revoshifts (obviously, replacing the grips too).
I did see a few revoshifters that would work. I have not had a bike with that type of shifter on for about 30 years. but I dont remember if they where any good or not. they seem to get very mixed reviews

Threevok

I did see a few revoshifters that would work. I have not had a bike with that type of shifter on for about 30 years. but I dont remember if they where any good or not. they seem to get very mixed reviews

They are not as good as triggers for certain situations, but I can't see this bike being used in any of those situations.

Personally, I've loved them on all the bikes I've had them on.

Threevok

Of course, another option would be EZFire ones, which would then negate the need to buy new brake levers, as those look a little tired

Nothing at all wrong with those shifters or the brake levers. If they work, they work. Just get a bit of steel wool and oil on them so they don't look rusty anymore. Then, get a pair of cone spanners and regrease the hubs. The cone spanners are a good investment because your boy can do his next bike's wheels as well. Tools are a better purchase than spares.

You could get trigger type shifters but the only 6 speed ones are collectors pieces now. Or you could convert to a 7 speed freewheel but they're not good, and a new block will cost as much as the bike did.

Then, new cables, brake blocks and (real speed freak trick coming up!) slick tyres. If you put slicks on that bike it will be considerably faster.

Replacing major components is going to cost more than the bike.

Gillstay

Über Member
Buy new bolts from a proper fastners place and usually they are very cheap, but kids love to fit them and see the instant result as you go from rusty cross head to alloy or stainless allan heads..

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
The brake lever were plastic and on one side the housing was broken so I bought some new ones together wit some new cables. I tried to fit them today but it a problem. the tension springs where very week and uneven. the arms were also plastic and when I opened them up I could see the anchor point for the tension spring was just a hole in the plastic and it had been streched to a very long oval shape by the metal springs so they are also junk.

Top Bottom