Just a few questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TobyM

I got my Specialized Allez today, and have spent the afternoon putting it together - I never realised there was so much to put together! Anyway, I've put most of it together and just wanted to ask a few things:

First of all, the saddle is truly the worst saddle I have ever sat on. In fact, it's so hard the first thing every member of my family and a couple of friends have said when they've looked at bike is "wow, that saddle's hard!". Am I just not used to this, or is this particular saddle just really cheap. To give you an idea of how hard it is, it's like a piece of wood.

Secondly, has anyone got a link to setting up the gears using Shimano 2300 double shifters? I don't seem to be able to find a good one, and can't quite work it out. My brother says something about there being an extra 'click' halfway between the gears, which pulls it all tight and means it's not too stiff to change gear or something.

Finally, I had a problem when installing the gear cables. I did the front gear cable first, and cut off the end as there was a lot of spare and it kept hitting the frame (I didn't want to scratch my new bike!). Anyway, when I came to install the rear derailleur, the cable wasn't long enough... I think I've been I been an idiot and used the wrong cable which I've not cut off! Perhaps alarm bells should have been ringing when there was that much spare cable... Anyhow, it means I've now got to get myself down to the LBS and get a new gear cable :sad:

2PedalsTez

Über Member
1. Nothing wrong with the saddle.. get yourself some padded shorts and you will find the saddle eventually becomes comfortable (and a lot better over distance, than one of those mini-sofa type saddles!)
2. I really think you should take your bike to a lbs and ask them to set it up for you (unless you are Hell bent on doing it yourself)

Brandane

Legendary Member
I can appreciate why you might not want to take the bike to your LBS since you didn't buy it from them! I might be tempted to set it up myself in similar circumstances.

Really all you need to get adjusted correctly is the upper and lower limit screws on the front and rear derailleurs (stops the chain from going off the smallest and largest sprockets/chainrings) and most importantly, the tension on the gear cables (don't cut the wrong one again; doh ;)). The whole gear indexing system works on the cable tension and small adjustments make a difference. Once sorted you are lookingh for each click of the lever to move the chain up or down to the next sprocket on the cassette or (at the front) the chainring.

I am sure there will be on line guides on how to do it properly. Try googling Shimano 2300, or have a look on you-tube as someone might even have done a filmed guide!

Willo

1. Nothing wrong with the saddle.. get yourself some padded shorts and you will find the saddle eventually becomes comfortable (and a lot better over distance, than one of those mini-sofa type saddles!)

I have an Allez (2010 model) and, as above, I find the saddle is good, it's the shorts that need the padding. In fact a decent pair is one of the best investments you can make IMO. I have some Endura shorts that cost around 40 quid and they've proved to be very comfy. I actually find bigger/softer saddles really uncomfortable now in comparison. For example, I just can't settle comfortably on the bigger saddles on the spin bikes in the gym.

As someone technically challenged can only echo the LBS advice re set-up.

screenman

Legendary Member
Mind you if you do get it wrong you could mash the gears into the back wheel, wrecking the wheel, the gears, the frame and if you hit the deck hard yourself.

Not trying to put you off doing it yourself, may of us old gits were building bikes before we were even teenagers. But if in doubt shop it out.

OP
OP
T

TobyM

Thanks for the advice, I'm very tempted to take it to the LBS, it's just a bit difficult to get it there! As for the saddle, I hope it gets more comfy as it feels very hard atm. I've got myself some padded shorts though so hopefully that'll make a difference :smile:

dirkthedaring71

I know it's hard to believe but after having my allez for a year I actually found the supplied saddle a bit soft and got a harder one (charge spoon saddle). I can ride 60 miles on that saddle without a twinge but 1 hour on my Raleigh pioneer stock saddle and it's arse ache big time.

For help with bike set up, visit the park tools website. Enjoy the bike :smile:

OP
OP
T

TobyM

I know it's hard to believe but after having my allez for a year I actually found the supplied saddle a bit soft and got a harder one (charge spoon saddle). I can ride 60 miles on that saddle without a twinge but 1 hour on my Raleigh pioneer stock saddle and it's arse ache big time.

For help with bike set up, visit the park tools website. Enjoy the bike :smile:

I'll take your word for it :tongue:

And I've taken a look at the park tools website, it does seem very good. If the LBS will set my bike up by Friday I think I'll let them do it, otherwise I'd very much like to be riding it by Saturday (even if this means doing it all myself)! On the bright side, I managed to do the brakes without to much hassle..

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I've had several new bikes over the last few years and changed the saddle on every one, my Scott had what i really do think was a flat piece of wood with a cover stapled on to it.

OP
OP
T

TobyM

Have a look at the shimano site, all the setup instructions for the individual bits are there.

Cheers, so far everywhere I've looked about setting up the front derailleur seems to assume you already have the cable attached to the derailleur.. They don't tell you how to attach the cable on properly!

I've had several new bikes over the last few years and changed the saddle on every one, my Scott had what i really do think was a flat piece of wood with a cover stapled on to it.

That's exactly what I thought my saddle felt like, but hopefully it should be fine :smile:

OP
OP
T

TobyM

That's not a hard saddle.

Now this....

Wow, now that is a saddle.. I can see weight being an issue though!

I've managed to set up and change the gears now, the Shimano website was a great help :smile: It all runs smoothly at the moment, I just can't wait to get out and give it a proper ride! :biggrin:

Top Bottom