Just another thread about the wahoo kickr core

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Hello

I started riding the bike less than 2 months ago after more than a decade of not even owning a bike. Got myself a nice boardman and enjoyed very much a few rides over the weekend.

Now it's been more than 2 weeks since I last touched my bike because:
- it's gotten cold, windy, and rainy
- it's getting dark earlier so rides after work are a no-go

I have decided to get a turbo trainer, done my research, and decided to go with a Wahoo Kickr Core. I live in a small flat and will use the turbo in the living room so my main priorities are noise level and dimensions. The Kickr seems to be the best option out there given my budget.

Now, I am a complete newbie and don't know my way around the bike so here's a few questions:

- what cassette should I buy? Can you share a link maybe? I have boardman adv8.8 (sora equipped)
- is the kickr easy to set up, even by someone with nearly zero bike knowledge?

Last resource would be to buy it and bring it to my local bike shop (or even buy it via evans) and ask them to mount the cassette and set it up.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

jamin100

Guru
For the cassette, get the same ratio thats on your bike, but just the cheapest version you can find.
ie, if you have an 11-28 Ultegra cassette, get a cheap (but new) 11-28 tiagra or 105 cassette.

As for fitting, its dead simple, it will only fit on one way and you just need a lock ring tool to be able to install it. Probably less than £10 for the tool otherwise they usually come in a basic tool set for around £25. If you ever want to take the cassette off, then you'll need a chain whip too.

As for the kickr core, yes they are easy to use but it might be a bit overkill unless you're also signing up to a training platform such as trainer road, Zwift etc. There are plenty of other "wheel on" trainers that dont require a second cassette and will do what you need to begin with

BurningLegs

Veteran
I went for a wheel on turbo because I’m nervous about chain wear on multiple cassettes. The trade off is noise though - wheel on trainers are typically louder!

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Thanks!

Yes, I'll sign up to Zwift too. No idea what "trainer road" is so I will check it out, thanks. I assume it's a zwift-like software.

I'm trying to avoid the "wheel on" trainers because, despite costing a fraction of a direct drive, they are too noisy judging by what I've heard and actually seen on youtube. The idea is for me to use the turbo trainer in my living room potentially while Mrs BigMeatball watches TV.

Plus, with the wheel on turbo I'd be saving on a new cassette but would have to buy one of those training specific tyres/wheels so would probably end up costing more.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I swap three chains in sequence, as I fitted them 4 months apart they don't get too much wear, I check the wear limint on the chain and replace as required. ... This minimises wear on the cassette ... I also swap cassettes on a 'regular' basis.

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes, I'll sign up to Zwift too. No idea what "trainer road" is so I will check it out, thanks. I assume it's a zwift-like software

Zwift is a social, solo, racing and training platform. It extremely popular, very entertaining and great way of keeping cycle fit and fitter over the less clement weather.

Trainer Road is a dedicated training platform, which will assess your power and devise a structured workout plan for you. You can also just pick particular workouts once experienced with TR. Its a proven way to get fitter/stronger, but its not for everyone, some folk find it boring-there are ways to alleviate that aspect

Btw I use both Zwift and TR

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Update: I won't be getting any turbo trainer any time soon.

I managed to find a friend who owns a kickr core and he let me try it out. He uses it in his living room (like I intended to).

Noise level was very low, so no problems here. What I DID NOT LIKE at all was the smell that filled the living room after only 1 hour, a mix of fresh sweat and old rubber from the yoga mat. And let's not even talk about the steam and condensation on the window.

I'm afraid I'll be buying a turbo trainer after I get myself a house with a garage :laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru
Update: I won't be getting any turbo trainer any time soon.

I managed to find a friend who owns a kickr core and he let me try it out. He uses it in his living room (like I intended to).

Noise level was very low, so no problems here. What I DID NOT LIKE at all was the smell that filled the living room after only 1 hour, a mix of fresh sweat and old rubber from the yoga mat. And let's not even talk about the steam and condensation on the window.

I'm afraid I'll be buying a turbo trainer after I get myself a house with a garage :laugh:

I use our conservatory, but with windows open all the time and a large fan running to keep cool. Shed or garage are the best

Mark pallister

Yes garage for me and even in this weather still need a fan,then leave the door open for a bit afterwards to air it out 😁

Top Bottom