Just arrived - Specialized Sirrus X 3.0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Campag980

Regular
Recently joined up (and not sure if I've got pic posting privileges yet - if not I'll add them to the thread later ^_^ )

So, decided a couple of weeks ago I wanted a brand new bike - specifically a Hybrid.

That's quite a big deal for me - I picked up a couple of 80's/90s bikes to help keep me amused during Lockdown and I also own a Van Nic Mistral purchased s/h in 2015, but the last time I bought a NEW bike was 2007 (GT Legato 4.0 Hybrid - which shares a garage with all of the aforementioned).

Due to (probably about a 100 miles a year average :rolleyes: ) the Legato still rides like new aaand it's a Hybrid....... but despite a fairly modest spec it's very much at the speedy end - a flat barred racer with triple chain rings and V brakes.

Now I'm 54 I fancy something a bit more laid back (the GT will still be the goto bike for errands that I'm happy to leave on the street and the Van Nic will of course remain the goto bike for longer road rides - when I hopefully start doing them again....).

So which new hybrid then? (Sorry for the overlong waffle above)

16 years away from new bike buying and it's fair to say things have moved on. Of course this can be a bit overwhelming at first, but I do find that once the budget is set it gets a hell of a lot easier......

Couldn't see the point in spending over £800, above that seems to get me into the realm of carbon forks that I don't especially want and a £1000+ bike just means I'll be even more upset if some urchins mug me for it on a deserted tow path (although as I'll mostly be cycling round nice largely middle class York that's probably pretty unlikely).

So ended up looking at:

Boardman MTX 8.8
Specialized Sirrus X 3.0
Orbea Carpe 20

The Boardman was easy to discount once I realised I didn't need the weight and complication of suspension forks ( being used to 23C tyres on the Van Nic and 28C tyres on the Legato, 42C tyres on e.g. the Sirrus X should give me all the ride comfort I'm going to need).

The Carpe and Sirrus X specs were much more similar (rigid forks and a 1X drivetrain).

My heart already said Sirrus X ( I loved the look of the frame with the curvy top tube and finished in Matt burgundy - just looks a bit more special IMHO) So when I saw the quoted weights of 11.4 Kg for the Sirrus Vs. 12.2 for the Carpe it was an easy decision - Sirrus X 3.0 ordered.

Could have gone for Silver (slightly boring) or black (ALL Black components AND a Black frame as well :wacko: ) but it was definitely the dark red for me.

It came on Tuesday from Evans and so far I've just ridden it for about a minute outside my house.

First impressions?

LOVE IT

I wanted something comfy, laid back but intuitive and fairly effortless and definitely seems to tick all those boxes - something to just hop on and enjoy , plus I love the look.

Got Shimano SPDs on the Van Nic and GT, but might just keep the standard pedals on this for now to go with the laid back vibe.

Laid back or not, not convinced the 40/11 top gear is tall enough, so might end up having to swap out the chainset for taller gearing - but other than that first impressions are all good - I'm Happy.

IMG_20230714_204304356.jpg

IMG_20230715_121917771_HDR.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Enjoy your new bike

GDS68

Hi there nearly the same short list rode the sirrus the other day really liked also love the carpe 20 and 2 Marin bikes the presidio 1 and the dsx . Oh decisions did you ride the carpe 20?

OP
OP
Campag980

Campag980

Regular
Hi there nearly the same short list rode the sirrus the other day really liked also love the carpe 20 and 2 Marin bikes the presidio 1 and the dsx . Oh decisions did you ride the carpe 20?

No, have only ridden the Sirrus (after I bought it :smile: ). Slightly went off the Carpe 20 anyway when I saw the quoted weight.

Did come across a Marin when I was looking initially - possibly a dsx - just remember it was a similar price and colour scheme.

I found it quite easy to decide really, helped by some reviews of the Sirrus online, preferring the look and also a slight brand preference (I seriously considered buying a different Sirrus years ago, had never really considered Orbea or Boardman before).

Looking at the Marins, the Presidio certainly looks good value, but IMHO has absolutely no 'Wow' factor. The dsx does have a bit of 'Wow' factor, but also a definite retro vibe, whereas I wanted a more modern look.

Good luck making your decision - if you haven't already......

Top Bottom