Just bought my first touring bike, do you think this will need much work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
That bike looks pretty similar to the bike I've just bought. The Suntour Cyclone is pretty slick and I'd rather have those center pull brakes than the side pull ones I have. I swapped the brake cables to start off and will be putting new brake blocks on next.

Depends what size the wheels are, it looks like they may well be 27" in which case the choice is fairly limited but if they are 700c then Schwalbe Marathons are my choice.
Tyre/wheel size will be on the tyrewall and probably stamped into the rim (similar to how the brand Weinmann is) the numbers to look for are 27x ? or 622/28/700c x ?. Its those 'whitewall' tyres make me think it could well be 27" though.

You can get Marathons in 27"/630, you just need to look around for them. I just got a pair off a bloke on Amazon.

Have a very careful look at the tyres. Mine were only slightly perished on the sides but on the top there was one place where they were bulging quite a lot - you could see canvas.

In terms of getting it 'tip top', it sort of depends on what you want to use it for. I think the best thing with older bikes is to start off small and get bigger as your trust/knowledge of the bike increases. So maybe a few day-long rides to start with, then a few weekends, gradually building up to crossing continents.

And that saddle....no point asking on a forum about that. Only your arse will tell you whether it needs an upgrade. :-)

midlife

Guru
That seems to be in damn fine nick for its age, how old is it? 35-40 years old. Not even Yoda looked that good :smile:

Still, needs servicing with new tyres or wheels as well if you want 700c which would be easier to find abroad I guess ....

Shaun

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That seems to be in damn fine nick for its age, how old is it? 35-40 years old. Not even Yoda looked that good :smile:

Still, needs servicing with new tyres or wheels as well if you want 700c which would be easier to find abroad I guess ....

Shaun
By the look of the brake block positioning IF they are 27" wheels then a change to 700c would need new brake calipers as well, but they could be either.

OP
OP
C

chefchao

Hi thanks for the replies so far have taken some notes, I'll copy and paste the original ad that might clear up what's what on the bike

YOU ARE BIDDING ON THIS 1980'S 10 SPEED DAWES SUPER GALAXY MADE OF REYNOLDS 531 BUTTED TUBING,ITS IN FULL WORKING ORDER SO CAN BE RIDDEN AS IS,COSMETICALLY NOT THE PRETTIEST LOOKING BIKE.

GENERAL WEAR AND VERY DIRTY AND DUSTY ALSO LIGHT SURFACE RUST HERE AND THERE ON FRAME BUT NO CORROSION,IF YOU LOOK AT PHOTO 12 YOU CAN SEE THE TYPE OF RUST IM TALKING ABOUT NOTHING BAD AT ALL,SOME COMPONENTS DO HAVE SURFACE RUST BUT ITS ONLY BOLTS OR BRACKETS BUT IT DOES COME OFF,FOR EXAMPLE PHOTO 2 THE LEFT SIDE OF CHROME FORKS HAS SURFACE RUST BUT THE RIGHT SIDE I HAVE VERY QUICKLY CLEANED ONLY TOOK 5 MINS WITH A SCALPEL BLADE AND FINE GRADE WIRE WOOL AND ITS COMES UP WELL SO DONT BE PUT OFF

AGAIN THE SAME CAN BE USED FOR OTHER AREAS,IF I INTENDED TO KEEP THE BIKE I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT APART COMPLETELY AND DEGREASED AND CLEANED EVERYTHING THEN POLISHED AND REGREASED,ITS IN FULL WORKING ORDER NOW BUT IT WOULD BE A MUCH BETTER BIKE WITH A GOOD CLEAN AND SERVICE,TOP TUBE 58.5CM CTC,SEAT TUBE 59CM CTT,DOWN TUBE 60CM,WHEELS ARE 27" WEINMANN RIMS WITH NORMANDY HUBS,RIMS HAVE LIGHT WEAR AND WILL CLEAN AND POLISH UP WELL,HUBS ARE JUST DIRTY AND AGAIN WILL CLEAN UP WELL,TA CHAINSET WITH DOUBLE RINGS,SUNTOUR CYCLONE FRONT & REAR DERAILLEURS,SUNTOUR DOWN TUBE SHIFTERS,CYCLO TOP TUBE GUIDES,5 SPEED FREEWHEEL,MKS PEDALS,BROOKS B17 STANDARD SADDLE,LAFARGE SEAT POST,WEINMANN CENTRE-PULL BRAKES AND LEVERS,STURMEY ARCHER STEM,LIGHTWEIGHT BELL,FRONT AND REAR RACKS WITH MOUNTS FOR LIGHTS,DAWES PUMP MISSING HOSE,ESGE MUDGUARDS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION STAYS SLIGHT BENT BUT EASY TO FIX,SPOKES FEEL GOOD BUT COULD DO WITH BEING CHECKED FOR SAFETY REASONS,WHITE WALL WORLD TOUR TYRES WHICH HOLD AIR WELL,WITH A BIT OF EFFORT AND TLC THIS WILL BE A GREAT BIKE FOR SOMEONE TO ENJOY OVER THE COMING MONTHS,IF I HAVE MISSED ANYTHING OUT JUST ASK AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP AND IF YOU WOULD LIKE ANYMORE PHOTO'S LET ME KNOW,COLLECTION IN PERSON WELCOMED,OTHERWISE POSTAGE TO UK MAINLAND VIA 48HR DELIVERY,EVERYWHERE ELSE INTERNATIONAL ECONOMY.THANK YOU & GOOD LUCK!!!

contadino

Veteran
Yeah, 27 inch wheels = 630's. I wouldn't go changing them until you've given the metal a good going over with foil. They may be fine.

Probably worth getting your local bike shop to give it the once over too.

sidevalve

Über Member
Clean the rims with solvol, Then it's mostly consumables and elbow grease. Fit new tyres and tubes and brake blocks and check state of the chain. New handlebar tape and as above a good proofide of the saddle. Cost easily under £50 if you source the bits from E Bay. If the gear cables and brake cables are stiff at all change them they are cheap enough but first just try PROPERLY lubing them [take them off the bike and hang them up]. If in doubt do one at a time. My Dawes is of similar vintage and required about the same. If you want to take it to the LBS do so but it depends on how much money you want to throw around. Do remember to clean and lubricate everything however [and no I don't just mean a shot of WD40] The 531 tubing is surprisingly light and strong [at least to modern alloy buffs] and it should weigh in at possibly around 10 kg all in. Well sorted weinman brakes can be excellent - with a bit of tinkering you have a brilliant bike on your hands.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looks lovely.

Here's what I'd do, in addition to general cleaning.

Check if the wheels are true. Check if any spokes are particularly looser than others. If so, take to your local bike shop to get them trued up. If you do this, then while they are at it ask them to regrease the hub bearings and oil the freewheel block. If they are true, and all the spokes feel good, just clean them up.

Sort out some new tyres.

Sort out new brake blocks.

Clean the saddle, apply Brooks Proofide. Remove the seatpost, just to be sure it's not stuck. Clean, grease lightly and replace. Fingers crossed you have a Brooks bum, otherwise you may need a new saddle.

Then, over time (not all at once) I would ...

Re tape the bars with some nice gel tape.

Replace the brake and gear cables (and outers too if they look tatty). You may want to buy a pair of cable cutters. Don't forget to put some cable end caps on afterwards. You may want to leave this to the end after you've done other stuff.

Remove the chainset (you will need a crank puller) Disassemble, regrease and reassemble bottom bracket. The ball bearings will probably be in a cage so they won't fall on the floor. Clean round all the inacessible bits of the BB while it's all apart. Give the chainset a good clean and replace.

Clean the front mech with a toothbrush and re-lubricate.

Disassemble clean and re-grease the headset bearings. Again I expect the balls will be in cages, but beware in case they aren't and fall out all over the floor.

Remove the chain and (probably need a chain tool, but it might have a super link). Maybe/probably replace it. Otherwise clean & re-lube it.

While the chain is off, remove the rear mech and clean it thoroughly with a toothbrush. Lubricate, replace.

Squeeze the brake calipers. If they feel nice and strong and return well, and don't feel grungy then just clean them up. Otherwise consider replacing with new nut-fit dual pivot brakes, or perhaps overhauling them.

Consider getting some new pedals. Or if not then disassemble, clean and regrease the pedals.

If it's got one of those horrible old seat clamps, you might want to consider a new seatpost with a micro adjust clamp.

Get a tin of Humbrol enamel paint (from a toy or model making shop) and touch up any serious scratches.

Last edited:
U

User19783

As above,
But before you send any time on the bike,
Check the seat post, , if it moves, brilliant, you got yourself a good project.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

chefchao

Thanks a lot for the replies, massive help wouldn't have had a clue where to start, have written out an extensive to - do list.

Can't wait for it to arrive and get out of the road :bicycle:

Nice one

Top Bottom