just called Hackney Council...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
and asked two questions of the person, Louise, who picked up the phone. She answered both without hesitation. And then she told me something that I needed to know, and hadn't thought to ask.

I felt bound to tell her that her career in local government was doomed.

This is the first time this has happened in seventeen and a half years. An average of seven phone calls with a 50% success rate is the norm. I once spent an entire day traipsing from office to office, stubbornly refusing to give up - I wanted an external light fixed. I had set aside a two hour period this morning - I needed two minutes.

I'm still shocked - I look at the note of the conversation with Louise and my hands start to tremble. It's almost as if God is tee-ing me up for a meteorite.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ha ....it's not fixed yet. Hold your horses.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's just reminded me - one of the (only two) streetlights in my backstreet has been out for about a year now. I'll try Calderdale later and see how I get on! Actually, I'll try doing it online if I can.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's just reminded me - one of the (only two) streetlights in my backstreet has been out for about a year now. I'll try Calderdale later and see how I get on! Actually, I'll try doing it online if I can.
Try
www.fixmystreet.com/

and asked two questions of the person, Louise, who picked up the phone. She answered both without hesitation. And then she told me something that I needed to know, and hadn't thought to ask.

I felt bound to tell her that her career in local government was doomed.

This is the first time this has happened in seventeen and a half years. An average of seven phone calls with a 50% success rate is the norm. I once spent an entire day traipsing from office to office, stubbornly refusing to give up - I wanted an external light fixed. I had set aside a two hour period this morning - I needed two minutes.

I'm still shocked - I look at the note of the conversation with Louise and my hands start to tremble. It's almost as if God is tee-ing me up for a meteorite.

Well done!

Seeing as you're obviously in the zone, I don't suppose you can make some calls for me, as I've got a little list of insurance companies to work through.................

perplexed

Guru
Mrs. Perplexed phoned Yorkshire Water last night at about 1900, due to us having no water pressure at all upstairs, and a mear trickle downstairs.

I fully expected her to be trying for at least an hour, bearing in mind the hour and the torrential rain.

The phone was answered on the second ring, and the lass on the other end had all the info we required within 2 minutes. There was a major burst in the main. Expect it to be repaired in about 6 hours.

Imagine my further shock when the water was back on within 20 minutes!

Well done Yorkshire Water!:thumbsup:

Typhon

Your story reminds me of my dealings with the student loans company. An admin mistake on their end meant that I didn't get my first years money for two years. During that time I wrote them about 20 letters and rang up about 50 times (no exaggeration). On the 51st time, I actually got through to someone competent and it was sorted. I'll never forget the feeling of relief.

Milo

Guru
Your story reminds me of my dealings with the student loans company. An admin mistake on their end meant that I didn't get my first years money for two years. During that time I wrote them about 20 letters and rang up about 50 times (no exaggeration). On the 51st time, I actually got through to someone competent and it was sorted. I'll never forget the feeling of relief.
My partner had the same problem in her first year. Got he student loan at the end of the academic year. Thankfully the benefit office was forgiving and allowed her to keep drawing benefit and she paid them back when it finally got sorted.

Norm

I'd be calling them to take out the other street light. :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Try
www.fixmystreet.com/
Thanks, but I've already emailed the council about it. Let's see how long they take to fix it!
I'd be calling them to take out the other street light. :thumbsup:
It would be extremely dark out there if they did! I already can't see into my back yard if the kitchen light is off. Without the other street light, I'd almost be struggling to find my house!

Norm

It would be extremely dark out there if they did! I already can't see into my back yard if the kitchen light is off. Without the other street light, I'd almost be struggling to find my house!
You say that as if it is a bad thing. It sounds like heaven to me.

We had a couple of power cuts about 5 months ago, and loved the darkness. We usually have three street lights ruining our nights from the pavement outside our house (because we live on a corner rather than having much frontage!).

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks, but I've already emailed the council about it. Let's see how long they take to fix it!
Four weeks from the time your e-mail was sent. Assuming of course you live on a main road.
Although I am aware that certain councillors want to cut the number of street lights in use. So it may be never.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's a quiet backstreet with no through traffic.

I was burgled once so I don't like the idea of dark back yards for burglars to get to work in! (Or for drunken teens to pee in.)
Two months in that case.
It took them that long just to find one I'd reported on fixmystreet. Reported two years earlier to the council themselves.
Best of luck.

Top Bottom