Just chose a new bike from cycle to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotmitchy

Okay, I decided to opt into the cycle to work tax free scheme at work - today I chose a lovely hybrid, the Trek WSD 7.3 in white, 17 inch frame and lots of lovely accessories, such a pannier rack by Bontrager and a fancy pannier kit with little pack and matching panniers down the side, spare tubes, a pump, a mini tool, padded shorts and funky lights. I am so chuffed.

Does anyone know how quickly companies processs the system and set it all up. I want to be out and cycling by, ooooo, tomorrow at the latest lol.

Mitchy

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Okay, I decided to opt into the cycle to work tax free scheme at work - today I chose a lovely hybrid, the Trek WSD 7.3 in white, 17 inch frame and lots of lovely accessories, such a pannier rack by Bontrager and a fancy pannier kit with little pack and matching panniers down the side, spare tubes, a pump, a mini tool, padded shorts and funky lights. I am so chuffed.

Does anyone know how quickly companies processs the system and set it all up. I want to be out and cycling by, ooooo, tomorrow at the latest lol.

Mitchy

Sounds like a great bike. I have had my Trek Valencia Hybrid about 14 months, done 3000 miles on it and its been excellent.

Havent been able to use CTW personally but have heard from others that its not allways quick unfortunately. Apparently 3 or 4 weeks isnt unusual.

Broadside

Guru
It will depend how your company runs it. My company opens enrolment once every 6 months (you can only buy a bike once every two years). They then get everyone to apply over a 4 week period, Cyclescheme sort out all the paperwork and then submit one invoice to the company, rather than one invoice for each employee who wants a bike. This minimises all the admin for the employer and I would guess that lots run it this way. The downside is that you have to wait about 5-6 weeks for the voucher, it was the longest 5 week wait of my life!

If you are employed by a smaller company then they may be more flexible so it could be quicker but I would expect you should be prepared for a bit of a wait.

Norm

I phoned the accountant with the name and address of my LBS, picked the cheque up about 45 minutes later and collected the bike less than 2 hours after I'd made my choice.

As dmoran says, it depends on the size of the company and the scheme administration. Using a third party, such as Cyclescheme, will add even more time.

OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

Thanks guys - here's hoping I am one of the fast ones. I will let you know tomorrow, after talking to the scheme administrators.

Ta

M

boylucifer

Nice choice of bike! Mrs Boylucifer got the very same bike about 6 weeks ago and really likes it!!! It's really nice looking in the white as well!!!!

Paul_L

Über Member
mine took exactly 2 weeks from chosing the bike to picking it up.

chose bike on saturday.

sent quote into company administrator on the monday

received, signed and sent back credit agreement on the friday.

received the voucher the following friday and picked up the bike the next day.

This is the 2nds C2W bike i've done and this one was a few days quicker than the last one.

jimboalee

As soon as you get it, do this....

P171301_19-07-10.jpg

You'll need, a set of SKS full mudguards, a rubber car mat from Wilkinsons, a couple of 'pop' rivets, a hand drill, a couple of washers to bolster up the 'pop' rivets and a sharp pair of scissors.

Cut the mudflap as wide as you like so your shoes don't get splashed in the rain.

BigSteev

I think I'd rather have wet shoes.

OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

LOL at the diy mudguards.

My online application seemed to go smoothly, they expect to have my voucher to me within two weeks.

M

I have just started the process (again), but last time the voucher was in my hand, the shop needed to then get in the bike I wanted...which was an extra week.

Nice bike btw, I just wanted to say it always takes a little longer than you expect. If it doesn't then it is a nice surprise!

OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

Thanks 2 loose - I am dreaming of cycling now, with all the enthusiasm of a new hobby-ist who hasn't a scooby how tough it's going to be ... at the moment I can just imagine scooting along and eating up miles with almost no effort lol.

Top Bottom