Just Eat - branching out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I like Just Eat (other food delivery choices are available): they've helped me find good takeaways when I've been in different cities over the years.

But in the last week I've noticed things which have baffled me: one, an advert outside a filling station saying they'd deliver from there (not petrol I assume). And more confusingly a delivery driver picking food up from a cinema.

The filling station I can just about understand as it's also a 24hr offie, so I assume that's part of what will no doubt be an extortionate offering, but the cinema?

I love a basic b!tch hot dog or nachos with all their synthetic cheesy goodness occasionally. I know it's a rip off and I know it's about as nutritionally valuable as eating cardboard; but with the right kind of film it's a perfect combination.

However, I cannot imagine that working when it's taken half an hour to show up, probably lukewarm and congealed in a thoroughly depressing polystyrene box.

What say you, filling station and cinema food enthusiasts? Am I weird for not understanding, or is this just a little odd?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Our favourite pub is happy for you to bring your own food / have it delivered. They even have an arrangement with the Chinese takeaway next door. It saves them having a kitchen / waiting staff / and all the ancillary expense. The only exception is Crisps, they sell crisps themselves so It's not on to take in your own.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Our favourite pub is happy for you to bring your own food / have it delivered. They even have an arrangement with the Chinese takeaway next door. It saves them having a kitchen / waiting staff / and all the ancillary expense. The only exception is Crisps, they sell crisps themselves so It's not on to take in your own.

That I can totally understand. I've worked in several pubs which have done the same. I wonder what would happen if I ordered "for collection" at the cinema I'm off to this evening.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It doesn't surprise me. If someone is at home planning to watch a film perhaps, and wants Cinema food, and is willing to pay for it, and can't be bothered going to the shops

Slick

Guru
I'm not a food snob by any stretch of the imagination (here comes the but :okay: ) but, I don't get most fast food offerings and certainly couldn't think of much worse of getting filling station food delivered. I recently had the worst experience possible in a BP garage heading towards King's Lynn when hunger got the better of me and it became obvious the hotel kitchen would be closed. Even now just thinking about it leaves me queasy.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I would have to be really desperate to use any of those services

Me too. When I'm planning a trip somewhere new I like to research first to find independent cafes. Went to Middlesbrough recently and found a nice Polish cafe where the food was good and the the owners really friendly.

If I'm not going to have time for a sit down meal I'd rather make some sandwiches and take them with me. I'd probably sneak them into a cinema rather than buy the stuff on offer there.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Never had food delivered, I always pick it up myself. Do agree it's a strange concept though, a lukewarm hour old hot dog.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Me too. When I'm planning a trip somewhere new I like to research first to find independent cafes. Went to Middlesbrough recently and found a nice Polish cafe where the food was good and the the owners really friendly.

If I'm not going to have time for a sit down meal I'd rather make some sandwiches and take them with me. I'd probably sneak them into a cinema rather than buy the stuff on offer there.

We usually take our own snacks into the cinema too. And we're absolutely rinsing Odeon's "Limitless" offer - £15 a month for as many films as you can take in? I'll have a part of that thank you!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My favourite Chinese and Indian takeaways use their own drivers to deliver the food. So no inflated prices for the food as Just eat, deliveroo or Uber eats put in their prices.
I do give the driver a tip though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My favourite Chinese and Indian takeaways use their own drivers to deliver the food. So no inflated prices for the food as Just eat, deliveroo or Uber eats put in their prices.
I do give the driver a tip though.

im lucky as our chinese is literally a 5 min walk down the road

Tenkaykev

Guru
Our favourite Indian restaurant uses its own drivers. We only indulge about once a month and the " Monday Special " feeds us both for two days.

vickster

Legendary Member
We usually take our own snacks into the cinema too. And we're absolutely rinsing Odeon's "Limitless" offer - £15 a month for as many films as you can take in? I'll have a part of that thank you!

My local Empire is now an Omniplex… their OmniPass is just £11.99 for all films (3 month minimum). Unfortunately, I’d rather spend my free time cycling or swimming currently (not a great cinema goer these days).
Sadly they’re no longer part of Meerkat or I might go from time to time.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
My local Empire is now an Omniplex… their OmniPass is just £11.99 for all films (3 month minimum). Unfortunately, I’d rather spend my free time cycling or swimming currently (not a great cinema goer these days).
Sadly they’re no longer part of Meerkat or I might go from time to time.

That's a bargain! The 3 month minimum isn't bad either. I'd probably not have bothered with the Empire pass if it tied you into a year or something.

Top Bottom