Just entered my first ever 50 Mile TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm also planning my first 50 even though I've only done one 25 (soon to be two).

My thinking is that there will be less pressure to start too fast; something I did on my first 25. When I'm out training I can really get moving once I'm warmed up, but as soon as I do a TT, I sprint away from the line and end up feeling terrible for the whole ride.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
palinurus said:
Shite.

Get well soon and that.

Bike alright?

Cheers dude. The bike is ok but my legs are a different story. I'm ok to ride hiome tonight so I'll be trying to push a big gear to see how things are. Meh.

Blue

Legendary Member
Brahan said:
Cheers dude. The bike is ok but my legs are a different story. I'm ok to ride hiome tonight so I'll be trying to push a big gear to see how things are. Meh.

Sorry to read about the accident. Don't go against your better judgement by completing the event if you aren't up to it as a result of injury as that may cause worse damage and stop you entering the many 50's that will be on in the future.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, be it race or rest!

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Well that was the hardest thing I've ever done.

The 50 miles is made up of two laps of an 'out and back' 25 mile course, so breaking it down into quarters gave me targets at each of the three turns. I took it really easy for the first quarter being careful not to do too much too early and got to the turn on 29 minutes leaving me 30 minutes to get back to the start and still be on schedule(ish). I completed the first lap roughly on target with 59.something and decided to step the pace up a little for the 3rd quarter, resulting in me getting to the final turn with loads of time spare to finish the race under 2 hours. Or so I thought.

My mistake was the temptation to get past one of the guys in front, given that I had already made up 8 minutes on him (I was no.20, he was no.12) it was clear that I was going to finish ahead of him but I ended up pushing far too hard for too long to get past him. I blew up spectucularly and a mile later he came steaming past me. Gutted. I got out of his slip stream (not allowed to tail people in TTs) and cursed my self BUT ended up seeing red again and pushed past him about 2 miles later only to die on the drag up hill where he came past AGAIN and this time dissapeared into the distance leaving me to grovel home empty, with the hopes of my first ever 50TT being under 2 hrs in tatters.

The course finished on a very long uphill drag where I didn't even have the strength to stand up on the pedals, so I just tried to get as aero as possible and spun my legs for all I was worth until I crossed the line where I came in at 2:2:28secs. Double Gutted.

On the positive side: At least I made it around the course, most (sensible?) people are still in bed at that time during a Sunday morning. :tongue: Anyway, it's given me more focus for my next one.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Good time, you'll be on for a sub 2-hour ride next time- no problem.

Sunday morning TTs are so strange, you go out on the bike, ride hard enough to wipe yourself out for two days afterwards but you're still back home in time for breakfast!

Blue

Legendary Member
Congratulations, that's a great time.

With the pacing lessons you've learned that sub 2 is well within sight- no question!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A couple of minutes outside two hours is an excellent time for a first fifty, well done.

One tip when catching people is to slacken off just a little in the final metres before you pass them, then up the pace as you go by so you distance them quickly. Quite a few riders will take a tow from you if they can and then jump you a little way up the road, which is bloody irritating and upsets your concentration.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well done, Brahan. I'm impressed.

Top Bottom