Just finished Jogle in just under seven days it was epic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickjames

Regular
Picked up a few tips off here before going so thought I should give a bit back

Myself and Brother in Law have just finished a JOGLE trip yesterday it was amazing and I recommend anyone thinking of doing it to give it a bash.

We were doing it for a local cancer charity "Sidmouth Living with Cancer' and have raised over £3000 so far.

We were lucky as we were supported by family in a camper van and had good wether bar the last day.

We did nearly 900 miles in total and averaged 129 miles a day.

Im 41 not really a cyclist (had a few too many beers and said I'd do it at Xmas) so had to buy a road bike and try and get as fit as I could for it.

I'll post a bit later of pros and cons I learnt from my experience kit and route wise but just wanted to maybe push those who are unsure if it can be done in a relatively short time without years of cycling experience

all the best

Nick

ScotiaLass

Guru
:wahhey:
Well done!!
Look forward to hearing more details and well done on the amount raised!

OP
OP
N

nickjames

Regular
Hi again,
just back from the pub so spelling may be a bit iffy!!!!

If anyone wants to see the route we took probably best to look on www.strava.com my name is obviously "Nick James" and I live in Budleigh Salterton in devon
From that you will see every ride I have done which hopefully will give you confidence to go for it.
If you pm me I am happy to send the exact GPX route we took to do it.

I have so many thoughts going through about the trip it is hard to know where to start so maybe best with a brief overview of Why,How and what may help in bullet form may help if any body wants ant extra info please ask,

a bit cheeky i know but if any of the info helps you please feel free to add to our Sidmouth living with Cancer page at:

https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/nickjames1

I have lost my mum to cancer and one of my best friends who had a two year old at the time, they are a great charity who utilise every penny :smile:

WHY:
I have a crazy brother in law who I initially said i would join on an a cycle to morocco with on a tandem but my first child arrived and i bottled out…….
a few years later in dec 2013 i couldn't escape when he suggested we did JOGLE and so agreed …. thinking it would be a pipe dream and pass by without happening….
I was wrong.. to show willing I bought a £130 giant ocr race bike on ebay and proceeded to train………..all of about 5 miles before the pedal fell off!!!!!
Doug (brother in law) gave me a reality check speech and before I knew it I emerged from a well branded cycle shop in full race gear with a bike thats saddle looked smaller than anything I had ever seen anybody sit on other than a magic show by paul daniels before they did some amazing disappearing act!!!
I Like mountain biking…. but only a few times a month but rapidly realised after speaking to a few people that to do it in the time we had…….. (up to nine days) would be impossible without some serious training..

I kept on turning to the www. net but that took my fears to another level with people telling me all the reasons why i wouldn't do it rather than how i could…… these bits stayed with me till the day I finished JOGLE hence my need now to spend a few hours when I get a chance to put a post together encouraging others to go for it.

I

OP
OP
N

nickjames

Regular
How…..
We were really Lucky….. please don't think in any way I am arrogant over what I have done I'm not a puff my chest out see you coming make it look east sort of cyclist … I just tagged along with doug and did it… simples!!!
We were incredibly lucky, we:sad:please excuse the bullet points but everyone gets bored of an essay)
  1. had a support camper that fed us and supplied water and encouragement en route
  2. had great weather… bar the last day of pouring rain and headwinds but even that in its own way was good as I felt maybe I had had the trip too easy
  3. had a trip planned by someone who had done it a few years before
  4. were bloody minded and kept cycling

Bill-H

slow and steady
Great Effort i live about 5 miles from you and did opposite direction in july but did 9 days and found that hard so 7 days awesome
out of interest i might have bumped into you near Bicton on morning commute as other commuter was doing jogle in july with parents driving Camper

Top Bottom