Just finished my furthest ride so far.. What did I learn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Nothing major. 56.2 Miles (compared to my previous best off 38) ... So, what did I learn?

I can complete it on:
- Half a pizza
- 1 x Rockstar Drink
- 1/2 x bag of jelly babies
- 1 Gel

Not the best way to fuel up I agree! I wasn't originally going to go out, so didn't really eat to fuel my self...I think had I fuled up better, it would off been easier. It wasn't a hard push ride, and I finished it with ease minus a slight dull pain in the lower back ...(apart from the 1 gel when I hit a bit of a head wind and it really pushed me lol).

So, what else did I learn?
- I always forget to take something for Hay-fever. Biking on roads that cut through fields in bloom sends my nose etc running ;)
- Cars will take stupid risks just to over take. I counted no fewer then 5 near-misses. (I'm talking, inches here..)

- Don't use Google maps to plan a route for road biking.. See below!!

The last thing I learnt, Mablethorpe sea front cafés stop serving food around half 3.

Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/141063421

Photos :-)

Started off in sunny Grimsby / Cleethorpes..

20140514_131744_Android.JPG

Lots and lots of miles on roads like these :smile:
20140514_135003_Android.JPG

Not far off.
20140514_145338_Android.JPG

And then, GOOGLE BLOODY MAPS, sent me down here!! (Teaches me for not double checking the route!)
20140514_145548_Android.JPG

Had that crap for about 1/2 mile I think.

20140514_145826_Android.JPG

And then that crap for another 1/2 mile or so. Bloody great!

Anyway, I then arrived at Mablethorpe :smile:
20140514_152929_Android.JPG

Topped up the water bottle, and had a little feast of cookie and Jelly Babies..
20140514_153153_Android.JPG

The last thing I learnt, I REALLY REALLY REALLY need to clean that bloody chain.
20140514_174743_Android.JPG

Attachments

• 20140514_151632_Android.JPG
    20140514_151632_Android.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 15
  • 20140514_151218_Android.JPG
    20140514_151218_Android.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 13

Steady

Über Member
Ah Mablethorpe, I recognise the muddy "road" section, would that section be beside the big gas works (I think it's gas least) right before the Golden Sands Haven site in Mablethorpe? I wouldn't fancy going down there on a road bike!

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Ah Mablethorpe, I recognise the muddy "road" section, would that section be beside the big gas works (I think it's gas least) right before the Golden Sands Haven site in Mablethorpe? I wouldn't fancy going down there on a road bike!

Yes, that's the one! I think if I had my slicks on rather then the Marathon plus; I wouldn't of gone down there.

In RE the Jelly Baby photo... I tried to get more lined up but A) The wind started to pick up .. B) I was hungry.

I've just spent the past 2 hours scrubbing all the thick grime and dirt of my bike, including taking everything apart.

I give up getting the chain as clean... I'll just replace that tomorrow and promise myself to keep on top of cleaning.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Yes, that's the one! I think if I had my slicks on rather then the Marathon plus; I wouldn't of gone down there.

In RE the Jelly Baby photo... I tried to get more lined up but A) The wind started to pick up .. B) I was hungry.

I've just spent the past 2 hours scrubbing all the thick grime and dirt of my bike, including taking everything apart.

I give up getting the chain as clean... I'll just replace that tomorrow and promise myself to keep on top of cleaning.
:laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Great ride report! ^_^

Steady

Über Member

Shows how much time I've spent in Mablethorpe if I can recognise an obscure path just from a picture! I imagine it was particulary nasty after the rain we've had, but well worth it to reach a lovely beach.
^_^

Top Bottom