Just finished :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pkeenan

Über Member
Hello!

Last Saturday I finished my unsupported LEJOG, which I integrated with a tour from my house in the Scottish Borders to Manorbier, Wales.

It was such an amazing time! I did it in 10 days, and saw some amazing bits of the country. I'm tempted to do it again! Though am going to go for more of a holiday option next time (this one was moderately intense because I had a time limit!).

My Thorn Nomad was brilliant - no maintenance issue at all: in 1500 miles of cycling, I didn't get a single puncture! Let alone something worse.

I'm now looking forward to a cycle tour somewhere else sometime (hoping not to wait until next summer!).

Whilst I know hundreds of us here did our LEJOGs for various reasons, some to raise money, others not - I did try raising money for charity, though that was not the actual reason for my doing it (I just thought, why not?). So if you fancy checking out my Just Giving page, see my signature below, though I don't want to upset anyone by plugging on this site (which I know isn't for that purpose).

All best! pkeenan

goody

Veteran
Well done mate. I finished on Saturday as well, in ten days so we would have been on the road at the same time. I went via Arran (more or less the route on pewseys website). I'm guessing you had some 'interesting' weather as well? I 'wild camped' for mine, which is something I'd rather not do again unless you can guarantee the weather, which of course you can't. Might do something similar next year and hopefully persuade some friends to come along. Did you meet anyone doing lejog or jogle on the way? I met a german guy on an MTB well loaded up (85KG!) near Monmouth, Two young lads doing the lightweight option on Cannondale and Bianchi racers. Going the other way I met a couple doing it for Cancer research followed by a nice campervan.What was your favorite part of the trip?

OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
Goody - Well done to you too! Yes - I did indeed have some interesting weather, though being from Scotland - I came prepared (though there is really no way to stay dry when you're in it for days on end!). I met quite a few people along the way, mainly near each end - though quite a lot along the A6 too. I cycled a large amount of the way from Okehampton Bristol with another LEJOGer, which was fun. I enjoyed the wildcamping! Though I didn't do it the whole way, I did a few campsites too.

Hmm - favourite part of the trip... I think it had to be the final day - not because I was about to finish (I would have happily carried on!), but because it was by far the sunniest and hottest day of the trip, which just made the final 80 miles so enjoyable, cycling the beautiful stretch of coastal road up to JoG... Really lovely.

What about you? What were your favourite bits? Arran sounds lovely, I went the opposite way (Carlisle-Edinburgh-Pitlochry-Dornoch-JoG) - but I certainly want to go and explore the west and some of the islands on a holiday sometime!

goody

Veteran
Arran and onwards would have been the best bits but that was where the weather was at its worst. The Last two days from Fort William along the Great Glen Way then up through Dingwall then straight up towards Tongue but then turning right past Loch Naver (stunning scenery there) were the best riding of the trip, certainly the most memorable.

Top Bottom