Just getting back on a bike after years off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
I`ve only been riding this week and boy are my legs and knees out of shape. I only want to ride for pleasure and to keep more or less fitter. I don`t expect to be able to ride like I used to when a teenager but a 5 mile ride three or four times a week without pain would be nice.

How long will this burning in the knees go on for:wacko:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Thats no surprise.
When will your muscles get used to exercise?
Anyone's guess I'm afraid.
Don't under estimate the amount of 'work' you have to do whilst riding, so keep the intensity very low and build it up very gradually.
It is a classic beginners mistake, thinking that riding is a piece of proverbial...
You wouldnt walk into a gym and go straight to bench press and try for 80kg would you now....?.......
In this weather, keep those knees covered up and dont get cold.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Also worth considering you're set up properly on the bike as bad set up may contribute to knee problems.

Gary D

Just to expand on a previous comment.......

I think the common mistake made by "new" cyclists is that they set the saddle far too low and also use much too high a gear when going uphill - because they believe it is "easier" pedalling slowly :smile:

Both of these factors will result in knee pain. :ohmy:

Check your saddle height and use a much lower gear and spin up hills.

Gary.

nosherduke996

Hi, old timer, it wont take that long.I started this year about 8 months ago after not rideing a bike for about 40 years.
Started in May and havnt looked back at the age of 54.
It doesn,t take that long just try and ride twice a week to start doing 5 to ten miles then gradually increase when you are comfortable enough.
I noticed the difference in three weeks and now ride 3 to 4 times a week which includes a mtb night and turbo sessions.

As the others have said, you shouldn't be getting pain in the knees.

As a very rough guide your leg should be slightly bent at the pedals lowest point.

Also,if you are pushing down on the pedals make sure the seat is not set back too far.

Finally take a look on how your foot contacts the pedal and preferably use the ball of the foot as the main contact area - we are all built differently and it's just a matter of getting a position that suits you.

Top Bottom