Just getting started again..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

q292u

Hi. Just getting started cycling again after many years. I need the exercise, as I used to walk 5 miles a day before Covid, now down to 20 minutes a day. (Working from home)
So I've put a bit of weight on, and I'd like it gone.. (I'm going to join the Gym as well, as soon as it reopens - as originally planned for January..).
I have asked a question over on the "buying" section, as it's been a while, and modern bikes are a bit alien to me..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Welcome! If you'd rather buy an older bike, there's the Vintage section and a few sellers lurk in there... but newer ones do tend to be a bit more aero and lighter, so you can go faster/further for the same effort, but how much does that matter if you're doing it for exercise rather than travel or racing? I don't know...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi. Just getting started cycling again after many years. I need the exercise, as I used to walk 5 miles a day before Covid, now down to 20 minutes a day. (Working from home)
So I've put a bit of weight on, and I'd like it gone.. (I'm going to join the Gym as well, as soon as it reopens - as originally planned for January..).
I have asked a question over on the "buying" section, as it's been a while, and modern bikes are a bit alien to me..
In my view joining a gym will provide very little that you cannot achieve at home.

Save your money towards bikes and cycling kit.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I disagree about the gym. When I was going regularly a couple of years ago, it really improved my fitness. I just did weight training and no cardio so I didn't lose weight, but I felt much better and more toned.

What I would say is don't join an expensive gym, like David Lloyd etc, unless you are going to go a lot and make full use of the facilities. Find a cheap chain and make sure it is local - you won't go if it's a 30 min drive away. One near where you work is ideal. I find the Strategy of Convenience is key with exercise- a gym you have to drive past anyway, kit kept by the door or in the car, bike kept in an easy access place so it takes 5 minutes to get out and put away etc. Make it so convenient you don't have an excuse not to do it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Riding the bike to the gym is a good plan, although around here the gyms are known as cycle theft hotspots.

Top Bottom