Just got a new iphone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
Wondered how good these things are at tracking distance and actual speed average etc. And whats the best app

rb58

Enigma
Plenty of cycling specific apps on iTunes, and others will be able to comment on which are the best ones. I used MotionX GPS which I thought was okay, but found it drained the battery incredibly quickly, so wasn't much use for the kind of riding I do. Also, keeping it safe when raining etc. needs to be thought about.

Great bit of kit though.... <runs and hides>

jugglingphil

There are quite a few good ones, couldn't comment on best.

I've used both mapmyride and endomondo to track workouts. Currently mainly use Endomondo, however this is mainly because the other cyclists in my office use it rather than functionality.

Coco

I use motion X too. Used it for a 6 hour+ trip and it worked fine. You have to be sensible about brightness and remember to switch off Wifi & bluetooth to keep the battery life long. I've also used it with the screen switched off (do I really need to know how slowly I am going?) and that extends the battery an awful lot. Its still records all the data and if you need to see where/how you are going, its easy to switch on.

I got a holder for mine, can't recall off hand what it is called, but I'll dig it out later.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Been using "runtastic" on my Blackberry and they have an iPhone app too. Very good from what I can tell. I just leave the BB in my pocket/bag and dont look at the screen (at the moment)

Steve H

Large Member
mapmyride has a mobile app that is free to use. I used to use it before I got a Garmin and it was pretty good at recording distance, route and speed. Battery does drain pretty quick with it, so not suitable for all day rides.

Think you can also get an attachment for an iphone now that let's you pair it remotely with ANT+ stuff - e.g. heart rate monitor

Panter

Just call me Chris...
They're very good, pretty accurate IME.

I used to use Motion X, which is fantastic. I've now switched to an Endomondo on an Android phone but if they do an iphone version, that would be well worth checking out.

How do you know when somebody has an iPhone?

They tell you.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

rb58

Enigma
My Tracks is good too.

Don't drop your new phone while cycling tho' :-(

Mine fell off, at night and at speed. I managed to find it in the dark and was expecting the worst, but it was hardly scratched and worked exactly as it should. Not what I expected I can tell you!

thecryof

Cyclemeter app is great. Here

Their homepage explains it well, my favorite features are the announcement at every 1 KM (this can be modified) of my progress (i wear one earplug during rides) and when I am done with my ride it emails me the ride information and includes a link to google maps which outlines my ride with KM markings and stop markings.

Incredibly useful as it keeps track of pretty much everything except heart rate.

Email from my ride yesterday:

Finished Cycle: 19 Apr 2011 15:49:30
Route: New Route
Google Maps URL: http://maps.google.c...110419-1324.kml
Shortened Google Maps URL: http://j.mp/dOd9MC
Import URL: http://share.abvio.c...110419-1324.kml
Ride Time: 2:21:22
Stopped Time: 3:30
Distance: 46,30 km
Average: 19,65 km/h
Fastest Speed: 41,98 km/h
Ascent: 375 meters