Just got a Vintage Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just found the Hill Specials site, according to this page
your frame could be worth as much as £75! I'm guessing not been updated for a while :rolleyes: :laugh:

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Guessing you maybe right !!
I am
Hoping to get cassette in there with more speeds than 5 to be honest , the frame builder tells he will widen the drop outs and put a new brake bridge on , I'll be looking for a compatible drivetrains dimensions and then get the frame modified to suit

Last edited:

stevevw

Guru
Steve
Please reconsider what you are planning for this rare frameset. Please think about doing a period correct resto. Or sell it to me and I will also give you a lower level not as important although 531 frameset to play with. I would also be willing to let you have a frameset F.O.C. if you waited to do your Hill Special until you saw the light.

I know it is yours and you can do what you like with it but..................

Steve

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fully agree with @stevevw about changing the rear end but I would fit a 'double clanger' on the front and possibly go for a period looking square taper one.
Stronglight do a 'spiderless' 2 ring crank that looks pretty good on older bikes, downside is you cannot change the outer ring so you need to keep on top of the chainwear but the inner is a bolt on.

Guessing you maybe right !!
I am
Hoping to get cassette in there with more speeds than 5 to be honest , the frame builder tells he will widen the drop outs and put a new brake bridge on , I'll be looking for a compatible drivetrains dimensions and then get the frame modified to suit
I hope the brake bridge isn't their distinctive wrap round, I'd leave it alone if it is. How many gears are you looking for? I'm with stevevw and raleighnut on this, given what I assume you're spending on this frame, I think you'll regret updating it eventually
16.jpg

Steve
Please reconsider what you are planning for this rare frameset. Please think about doing a period correct resto. Or sell it to me and I will also give you a lower level not as important although 531 frameset to play with. I would also be willing to let you have a frameset F.O.C. if you waited to do your Hill Special until you saw the light.

I know it is yours and you can do what you like with it but..................

Steve

Naah,,,

Fit some mech Dura-Ace/Record,carbon seat-post,aero carbon wheels,carbon forks with say some Deda 35 bars and stem,Fabric carbon saddle etc:okay:.*

*I may not be serious:whistle:

shadaboot27

Is there a slot cut in the threaded part near the top of the steerer tube and is the bottom lug on the headtube shaped to hold a bearing race on the inside?

Binder bolt headsets were the common on pre-war British bikes and you will find them after the war too. With that type of headset, a collar fitted around the steerer between the top headset race and the lock nut pushes into the slot and holds the stem in position.

Would look something like this when assembled
Pic_9468.jpg

Is that Raleigh Record Ace yours? It's beautiful!

tyred

Legendary Member
Definitely don't carry out any mods to the frame. It's a piece of history.

Fixed/Free double sided hub or even a period correct SA hub gear would be my recommendation. Try and get one of the close ratio SA hubs.

Top Bottom