Just had a scare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kernel gadaffi

I went out on the Felt at midday, it was warm and there was a nice cooling breeze blowing, I went steady away as I do for the first few miles, I'd got about 5 miles from home and suddenly felt uneasy and vague, I stopped and got off the bike and fell down just as I was about to sit down, I just flaked out for a few seconds, luckily I wasn't on a main road and I'd landed on the grass verge, I sat for a few minutes just thinking of what to do, I had a muesli bar in my back pocket which took some getting out as I couldn't control what I was doing, I managed to open it and slowly chew my way through it and kept having sips of Gatorade. After a good 15 minutes I was feeling better but still unsteady on my feet, I was having to think about what I was doing and was being deliberate about my actions that would normally be a natural movement, it took me at least half an hour to wobble/walk towards a house that was about 4-500 yards away in the direction I'd traveled from, I was fortunate enough to have a mate pull up in his van and brought me home.
Kim gave me a Mars bar which I wolfed down and opened a tin of beans which got the same treatment, as soon as I'd finished the beans I fell asleep, woke up two hours later feeling fine, I can't work out what the problem was, I'd had two poached eggs on wholemeal toast with a glass of orange juice and black coffee for breakfast so my blood sugar wasn't low and I'm not diabetic. I have been reducing my food a little lately to try and get my weight down as I'm currently 3 stone overweight, but I'm eating sensibly, veg, fruit, pulses, fish, all the stuff that I've been told to eat along with plenty of fluids.
One thing I did notice though was, I had a craving for salt on the beans, I'm 51 and take Bendroflumethiazide and Lisinopril for blood pressure, I've been to the docs as an emergency appointment and she can't work out what the problem can be as I have bloods taken every month and amongst other things, the diabetes has never manifested itself, it certainly frightened me.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Sounds horrid, at least you're well monitored. Could it be a bug?

I naturally have a low-salt diet but often crave salt so eat salted cashews.

Octet

Veteran
Maybe dehydration?
Depending on how far you cycled, a glass of juice isn't much to work on.

Shaun

Founder
Maybe dehydration?
Depending on how far you cycled, a glass of juice isn't much to work on.

I was going to suggest this too or maybe you just overheated or have a bug that you've so far not been aware of?

Are you just back into cycling for fitness/pleasure or are you a seasoned two-wheeler? (Just trying to get a handle on where your cycling fitness levels are).

Octet

Veteran
I was going to suggest this too or maybe you just overheated or have a bug that you've so far not been aware of?

Are you just back into cycling for fitness/pleasure or are you a seasoned two-wheeler? (Just trying to get a handle on where your cycling fitness levels are).

I think it would explain the salt cravings as well. I fainted out in Africa because of dehydration and all I wanted was something salty for the next couple of days.

OP
OP
K

kernel gadaffi

I got back into cycling about 3 months ago after a 4 year lay off due to a back injury I've been easing myself back into it, but have not been doing many miles due to the school holidays and the crap weather, I was out last Thusday for the first time in a month and did 26 miles in 2.5 hours and felt great, no issues at all. I'm going to keep a food diary for the foreseeable future so I can show it to the doc and I can refer back to it myself.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The symptoms you describe match those of the bonk very well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall

However, seeing as you had only been out for five miles or so, makes me wonder if it was something else.

Ah man I've been there. Bonking hard is the worst I have felt in my entire life.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from.... somewhere between my lugoles.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Would your blood pressure have dropped, considering you are already on lowering bp meds and exercise can lead to a bp drop. Anyway, I'm sure the doc will get to the bottom of it.

Top Bottom